Practically Shooting

My favorite revolvers

Bill_in_Utah

Greetings;

I've pretty well shot everything under the sun (all types/brands/calibers) and I have to say my favorite ones are Ruger GP100 in .357cal and my S&W model 17 in .22lr.

Close to follow would be S&W 586 in .357, S&W model 27 in .357 and Ruger Blackhawk in .357. (love the .357 since you can load them from super lite to let's rock!)

What are your favorites?

Take care and welcome!

Bill

I only have one revolver - a Ruger Single Six .22LR. I use it mostly as a teaching handgun for my kids. A Single Six makes you slow down and think about everything you do - great for a learner. I have shot many different revolvers in the range, seems that every time I ask someone what they are shooting they insist that I shoot it (not a bad thing). I'd have to say the .44 Remington Magnum is about the most versatile revolver I've fired. You can load them very light, well below the energy of the 45ACP. Or, you can load the .44 hot and heavy for deer hunting etc. I will admit that the hot loads aren't much fun to shoot at the range and at an indoor range you won't make any friends with those hot loads rattling everyone's teeth!

Wayne

I've got a single six also. Its a excellent revolver also.

As far as 44 mag, I reload for my few 44s that I own. A Ruger SA 6.5", Taurus Model 44 4", Ruger Redhawk 7.5" and Marlin 1894 carbine. Agree with being able to reload anywhere from mild to wild.

I've got quite a few co-workers who own many pistols and don't reload. If I did not reload I'd have to say I'd prob not shoot anything but my 22lr guns.

Reloading is such a big part of my hobby.

I don't do indoor ranges (once was too many times). The open range that I use is less than 5 mins away from the house.

Take care, bill

I like the Ruger security six chambered to .357 - my dad's got one and it's a fine weapon. I don't really go for snub nose or long barrels. I'd like to get a nice double action revolver (don't have a good idea of a model yet) with a 5-6" barrel chambered to .41 magnum. I really like that cartridge.

I think my "funnist" gun is my model of 1903 S&W, .32 long pistol. It was nickel plated at some time, the previous owner must have kept it in the bilge of his boat. There is no rifeling to speak of on the upper right quadrent of the barrel and you can find similar rust damage on/in the cylinder and frame. Line all the damage up and it appears to have sat on it's right side with the butt elevated above the water line. I paid the old gent 35 dollars for it and 2 boxes of factory ammo.

Here's a picture of it during the cleanup.

Model of 1903

It's accurate smirk all the way out to maybe 3 yards now. Originally the end of the barrel was dented in and it shot about 3 feet left at that distance. I just used a 23/32 drill bit and a dremmel to (ahem) fix that minor problem. I keep it in my truck and had reason to euthenize a small doe in the road one evening. Someone hit her and just left. It did the job tho.

I guess my favorite is my S&W Model 19 .357 mag that belonged to my dad, it was his carry gun when he was a LEO. It is also the first handgun I ever shot at the tender age of 5, he let me pop off one shot into a farm pond.

My favorite .44 mag would be my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter since I had a full action job done on it.

I have a Security 6 which I really don't like but I have had it since 1975 or so and the SP101 is way nicer . I like the Smith mod 10 and the Smith J frames the cyls are light and feel good .Several weeks I shot a real tricked Smith 625 revolver in 45 acp the trigger felt really good but the heavy feel from the cyl is what bothers me.

I, too, really like the GP-100 Ruger, and their little SP-101 counterparts.

I have a 4" GP-100 stainless with full lug at home. I'd like to get it tuned a bit for trigger feel. Does anyone know of reputable sources in the mid-west that do such work?

I just buy a set of Wolff springs untill the action wears itself smooth. I am not sure if Rugers get a trigger feel. I have owned several. My SP101 is pretty nice stock.

Allways doing the "road less traveled" thing, I've only ever owned Colt's, specificaly Pythons. Have a 2 1/4, 4, 6 (two, one black one ultimate stainless), and 8 3/8, bbl lengths. The 8 3/8 is rather rare, as it's marked 38Special (for the most part Pythons are all 357). It and the 2 1/4 were both sent to a fellow in Fla. for a spring conversion. For any not familiar, Pythons use a "V" flat spring action, first used before the turn of the last century, while slick as owl $hit on glass, there's a definite "two stage feel" that makes double action predictable as to when it's actually gonna "go",, love it or hate it . Anyhow this guy (I've lost his name, been a while, think he may have retired) replaces the original spring with one that's equipped with a wheel/roller on the end of the "V" that eliminates two stage DA pull. Absolute smoothest, slickest, SAFEST, double action pull on the face of the earth!

LOVE my Pythons, PLUS their value is one of the steepest curves in the gun market. Reallly want a Diamondback 22, but unfortunately their value is gonna be hard to swallow!

Bob

My favorite is a Bill Davis 686 S&W I had built back in the eighties for PPC matches. The trigger is so smooth in DA that it's better than most revolvers in SA mode. It's been a long time since I have taken it out and put a few round throgh it. Maybe this weekend...........

I only have two revolvers right now. Both older guns. First is a Ruger Service Six that I really shoot well with. Had it about 25 years. Second is a mint condition S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman purchased in the late 70s. Both good guns.

I don't carry so I like larger frames and 4 inch barrels. I've been going through a semi-auto phase the last few years so I have neglected revolvers. However, I'm getting interested again and would like to get a hold of some of the older S&Ws to play with.