Practically Shooting

Hickok45 gets a M&P40

G-MAN

WOOT! I've been waiting and waiting for this! Hickok answers every mail I send him personally and not just one liners either. He's a real good dude and I hold him in high esteem.

I'm going to youtube now to watch that video. I cain't hardly wait!

I'm kinda betting he still favors the Glock as he is so familiar with that platform that adjusting to another platform and being as proficient can very challenging. Most of the time Hickok will say it is the action of the trigger that is the most difficult part to master in a different platform. That said he usually warms up to every outfit and is nailing the 80 yard gong regularly by the end of every video.

This man is better than any television show.

I'm gonna grab a coke and some popcorn and go watch the movie!

Well I watched it and I enjoyed the video. Darn it if the frame on that gun ain't cracked so bad I wouldn't have shot it! I don't know how Hickok didn't notice that! I'm kinda of an admirer of gun design so I lock up my ammo and do a safety check about 5000 times then I sit in my lazy boy and turn my big light on and handle a gun and just sit and stare at in my hands noticing every little nuance of the gun. I prolly do this because the range where I shoot is 9 miles outside of town and live in an apartment and rarely get to shoot because of work and other obligations. However, it is a used gun and it did not blow up or break apart while shooting which IMO says a lot for the strength of the platform. It shot accurately and held together even with that huge crack.

That gun was used by another youtuber to do an impression of Hickok and I believe that video won the mockery contest that Hickok was having for his fans. Check those vids out if you like Hickok's as they are hilarious and good stuff at the same time!

Didn't I tell you though, by the end of the vid Hickok had the system down and was nailing the 80 yard gong easily. Of course every manufacturer has their own design but the M&P is similar to the Glock in many ways. I sometimes wish I had bought the M&P over the G23 but heck I think I'll pick one up tax return time and keep the G23.

Kinda gonna be neat to see how S&W handles the cracked frame issue. I bet they send a whole new frame, one of the newer improved frames to boot. Nice gun if I do say so...just cain't wait to see Part 2 after it gets back from the smiths at Smith.

On a side note what do y'all think of Hickok's prowess with the .40? I for one think the guy is some sort of zen master the way he handles recoil in any gun but especially the "kickers" like the 10mm. The .40 is very snappy IMO and it has taken me 500 rounds to get used to it. I find the .40 very intimidating first time out and thought I had made a huge mistake and y'all prolly remember reading my laments. Hickok on the other hand has the .40 down to an art. He shoots what I consider "rapid fire" compared to my one round about every ten seconds.

I know I'm kinda going on and on and y'all prolly just want to watch the video so I'll close it up...

P.S.- If y'all didn't know, that's the gun that our very own BIU carries every day! I think he should make us a video of his M&P40c going full tilt boogie! How about it Bill? t-up

Originally Posted By: CamuMahubah
Well I watched it and I enjoyed the video. Darn it if the frame on that gun ain't cracked so bad I wouldn't have shot it! I don't know how Hickok didn't notice that!

It is? I just can't sit through a whole 20 minutes. At what time did you see the crack??

It's not the frame, it's one of the rails on the slide.

Originally Posted By: CamuMahubah
Well I watched it and I enjoyed the video. Darn it if the frame on that gun ain't cracked so bad I wouldn't have shot it! I don't know how Hickok didn't notice that!

It is? I just can't sit through a whole 20 minutes. At what time did you see the crack??

Look at 5:50 you'll see it plain as day....

Wayne

Yowser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I only watched a few minutes - thanks)

That's nasty - pretty ironic too when he is talking about how burr free the gun is.

Notice when he starts to remove the slide he comments on how he's noticed it hangs up sometimes. I bet that crack in the slide rail is why.

G-MAN I see what you are talking about at 5:50 now. Look at 1:07 though...it appears the frame is cracked too. In fact it is. I looked at pics of other M&P's and none of them are cracked like this one! That was the crack I noticed...

Hickok says S&W has sent him a shipping label so I guess we are gonna just have to wait and see.

Yah I see it. Frame appears to be cracked right under it.

This ain't good for the M&P as so many people on youtube will watch this and automatically assume the M&P is prone to "cracking" or whatever.

I have seen "cracked" Glocks too...hope mine never fails but good thing most firearm manufacturers are good about fixing this sort of thing.

Did you see at 1:07? I'm not even talking about your post. I'm talking about the video. If you put the slide on the gun it would appear that the frame is cracked right under that spot on the frame.

I guess that's normal though. That's where I thought the crack was.

Here's the video at 1:07. I don't see any cracks in the frame.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

That's after 60000 rounds. I'm still getting one and if it breaks I'm quite sure S&W will fix it.

I don't see myself shooting 60000 rounds either.

But the crack in the slide rail is in exactly the same spot as Hickok's. I wonder how many rounds have been put through his gun? He got it used from one of his YouTube fans.

G-MAN I googled "M&P40 slide crack" and found quite a few guns with this same exact issue so maybe you are on to something. I read so many forums I figured I woulda heard about this already.

The guns I saw were cracked in the same exact place so I don't think it was a metal problem as they use a very good process during manufacturing. I think it is a design flaw. I'm no engineer but I'm gonna research this a bit more before I buy.

I will say though the M&P feels great in the hand. I've heard nothing but good about them. I did see a few comments on youtube below Hickok's video where some were saying S&W has addressed the issue and and the slide design has been slightly changed on new models.

Cain't believe I ain't heard of this already! Oh well I'm still getting one! I'll just make sure mine is a 2011 model.

I've never handled a M&P but that looks like a recess in the frame for the take down lever--to make it more flush with the side of the frame.

Originally Posted By: Bill_in_Utah
Negative. It is the slide stop.

Negative. What I was talking about is the takedown lever and its corresponding recess in the frame.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I've never handled a M&P but that looks like a recess in the frame for the take down lever--to make it more flush with the side of the frame.

Originally Posted By: Bill_in_Utah
Negative. It is the slide stop.

Negative. What I was talking about is the takedown lever and its corresponding recess in the frame.

Oh, thought you were discussing the notch in the slide where the crack is in the rail.

Sorry. Lack of sleep (going to work yesterday took 2.75 hours and coming home was only 2.5 hours.. On top of a 11 hour BUSY day)

Carry on. At least I know the reason for his "hanging up" on takedown...

Bill