Practically Shooting

Hickok45 gets a M&P40

G-MAN

So the takedown is not as simple as my SIG? Lock the slide back, flip the lever, release the slide, and slide it off.

Smith wanted to make sure that you did NOT have to pull the trigger before taking down the weapon so they put the take down lever inside the frame that allows you to take the slide off without the possible AD that other weapons sometimes have.

I just watched the video again and no, he is not doing the take down correctly per the manual.

Also the Ruger SR9C, SR40 are the same way as the smith. The P series are the same way too!

Bill

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
So the takedown is not as simple as my SIG? Lock the slide back, flip the lever, release the slide, and slide it off.

Smith wanted to make sure that you did NOT have to pull the trigger before taking down the weapon so they put the take down lever inside the frame that allows you to take the slide off without the possible AD that other weapons sometimes have.

I just watched the video again and no, he is not doing the take down correctly per the manual.

Also the Ruger SR9C, SR40 are the same way as the smith. The P series are the same way too!

Bill

I don't have to pull the trigger on my SIG P6. The procedure is just as I outlined.

My Ruger P95 takedown was just like a 1911; nothing like what you've described for the M&P.

Originally Posted By: Bill_in_Utah
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Bill

I don't have to pull the trigger on my SIG P6. The procedure is just as I outlined.

My Ruger P95 takedown was just like a 1911; nothing like what you've described for the M&P.

Trust me I'm not making this up.

From the manual; (figures 16A and 16B show the lever)

Sig P6 is not a striker weapon correct? I know on some of my P series I do have to do the same as the smith. I'll check my P85Mkii and see what it requires. The P94 does have the lever. Have to check the others.

Bill

I wasn't doubting your accuracy on the M&P procedure, just commenting on how similar yet different it is from my SIG P6 (which is not striker fired).

Would it be possible to use the trigger as the "sear deactivation lever" and take the M&P down just like you do a Glock? (Maybe that is what Hickok was doing.)

Just took down my Ruger P85Mkii and you DO have to press down on the lever inside the frame just like the Smith to get the slide off.

You can see the lever in the mag well.

Bill

Yeah, I remembered I had to do that on the P95, too. The lever is the ejector on the Ruger.

I wasn't doubting your accuracy on the M&P procedure, just commenting on how similar yet different it is from my SIG P6 (which is not striker fired).

Would it be possible to use the trigger as the "sear deactivation lever" and take the M&P down just like you do a Glock? (Maybe that is what Hickok was doing.)

Well if you force it the slide will come off and possibly bend the "take down lever" (which is more like a rod/wire). The Ruger above you would not bend if you tried. (but you also will not get the slide off)

Smith will replace the lever when they get the gun in for the slide. If he follows the take down procedure the slide falls off the frame every time.

I've got a few co-workers who have the same problem and once they flick the rod/lever all is good unless its bent. And on the models with the mag disconnect it really messes with the trigger once its bent.

Another feature! If I have a choice I like the models without the mag disconnect.

Take care, Bill

Another feature! If I have a choice I like the models without the mag disconnect.

The Mag disconnect is very easy to remove. You remove the mag disconnect lever and spring and install a small spring in its place just like the factory does on non-MD models.