Practically Shooting

What's your favorite Browning?

G-MAN

The 1911 is the one most would say but I like the Model 71 and the High Power more. I'd love to find a pristine 71 that I could afford- they're big money now. I have several High Powers in 9mm and 40SW. They all run flawlessly.

I'm not sure I'd consider the Winchester 71 a "Browning." It's certainly based on a Browning design (the 1886), but Winchester made some changes--some say improvements--to the 1886 to create the 71.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The shotguns are the most elegant designs.

The 1911 is the most intriguing to me for some reason.

The lever guns are the most fun. 1894 the smoothest. The 1892 the strongest.

1895 strongest, with the 1886 a close second.

Well I guess I was limiting it to the more mass produced recent examples. Don't know the 1886, why would it be any stronger than the 1892? They were both chambered for large high pressure rounds.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: Pablo
The shotguns are the most elegant designs.

The 1911 is the most intriguing to me for some reason.

The lever guns are the most fun. 1894 the smoothest. The 1892 the strongest.

1895 strongest, with the 1886 a close second.

Well I guess I was limiting it to the more mass produced recent examples. Don't know the 1886, why would it be any stronger than the 1892? They were both chambered for large high pressure rounds.

Ah, mon dieu! The 1886 was Browning's first lever action design sold to Winchester. It enabled Winchester to finally chamber a lever gun in 45-70 to compete with Marlin's 1881.

When Winchester wanted a smaller lever action to replace the 1873, all Browning did was scale down the 1886 to fit the smaller pistol rounds used in the 1873.

Neither the 1886 or 1892 was really designed for "high pressure" rounds. They were both designed for black powder rounds and it is a testament to their inherent strength that they could later be chambered in smokeless rounds without any major redesign.

The first Browning lever gun designed specifically for a smokeless cartridge was the 1894. And the first one designed for truly "high power" smokeless rifle cartridges was the 1895.

I like...most of them.

The 1911 has stood the test of time better than most mechanical objects.

The M2 .50 caliber is still hammering away.

I think the Auto-5 is a masterpiece and a showcase of his genius.

The Superposed established a new type of gun for all practical purposes by moving the O/U shotgun from a custom-only proposition to being available through any gun shop (or even hardware store at the time).

The BAR stands alone in it's class.

The M240/FN MAG is more or less a BAR with the back half flipped upside down and feeding from a belt.

The 1893/1897 pump shotgun created a class.

The HiPower is the gun that made me appreciate the 9mm cartridge and is what I choose to carry nearly every day (but it's debatable as to who deserves the bulk of the credit- Browning or Saive).

Browning himself said the single shot was his favorite because it was the one that made him. I know it doesn't have the "pinache" of a Sharps, but I think it was the most advanced of it's type.

The lever action rifles 1886, 1892, and 1894 (and their follow-ons, the 65s, 71s, 64s, etc) will probably live forever. I'm the one guy in the country who doesn't like the 94 much, and while I prefer the simplicity of the Marlins, I like the smoothness and looks of the Browning/Winchesters. The 71 might be the most "outdoorsy" looking rifle ever.

The pump .22s are the most neat and trim of any.

The M1900 auto pistol isn't pretty, but it made auto pistols successful and popular.

The Colt pocket autos are pretty- one of the nicest looking handguns ever, in my mind.

The Woodsman is close behind.

But my favorite is...

The takedown .22 auto rifle.

They aren't the most accurate, or most rugged, or even the smallest, but I love 'em.

While I'm not much of an 1894 rifle fan, I appreciate the concept and thinking behind it. It supposedly came about so Winchester could have a simpler/easier/faster/cheaper to produce rifle. Until then, most Winchester lever actions were designed around a "family" of cartridges. That was nice for the the user, but complicated things for the manufacturer by having to make several models to cover all needs. While the 1894 was designed and sized for the .38-55 and .30WCF rounds, Browning made it adaptable to a wide range of cartridges by screwing the proper feed rails into the receiver. With those, the right barrel, and sometimes a few other parts, it could handle a wide range of cartridges. A company could make that one model and survive on it. Winchester practically did just that.

The only Browning design I might say I don't like is the lever action shotgun. It never felt right to me. It handles odd and the action feels clumsy in operation. I think I've read he didn't care for the lever action shotgun idea much either, and only made it because Winchester had to have a lever action shotgun.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Ah, mon dieu!

Sorry. I'll just keep my yapper closed and not post. Better to read stuff. Man you must have a mind like a bear trap!

Don't you dare "not post." I was poking a little fun, that's all.

If you had not posted what you did, I would not have responded with what I did, and then you wouldn't know what you now know. smile