Practically Shooting

.40 or 9mm

CamuMahubah

Yah done so many times on so many different forums. However I'm asking because I care what yall think. Yah, I wanna know your opinion. I got the funds to get the polymer pistol now. Whatever I get, be it XD, Glock, or M&P I've still got decide on 9mm or .40....

Was leaning towards the 9mm but after watching Hickok shoot the .40 so well I'm thinking might as well go that route and get a .357 Sig barrel in the future.

I won't be reloading. My buddy will tho! He reloads .40. That alone makes me wanna buy .40.

But as a first time semi-auto owner what would you recommend?

Also if do go .40 I think the M&P might have an advantage being designed orginally as a .40.

So what yall thinking?

I wanted to do a lil update here on some random thoughts flowin' through my brain...

Yah the glock .40 chamber ain't fully supported that's why I'm leaning M&P if I go .40 besides the fact it was built as a .40 in the first place. I've heard things about the Glock .40 causes the rounds to... well I forget the word but the cases bulge at the bottom... Yah case bulge...

Hickok says he reloaded Glock .40 fired cases for ten years without a problem and I am inclined to believe him. Just don't wanna bulge cases slightly and cause my bud to be reloading these slightly bulged cases.

And another thing...I held an SR9 yesterday at the gun shop and that thang felt really really good. Dry firing it amazed me! The trigger felt like gold compared to a Glock. But as GMAN says I've got an itch and buying any other pistol won't satisfy that itch so I'll prolly go Glock. That said... I'd love to buy an American made pistol but I want a Glock so bad. I'd buy a used Glock but most people want almost as much for a used as brand new. And I can get the SR9 for $440 out the door...decisions decisions...but I do have the funds now...cash in hand...I'll let yall know but first...I wanna hear from yall...

So throw your opinion out there please!

I'm with G-Man on the 9mm. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, and less muzzle blast will make the 9mm more shootable. I just don't think plinking with a 40 S&W would be fun. As for which brand? Well I would highly recommend you shoot at least 50 rounds through any that you would consider purchasing. I did exactly what I'm recommending to you and found I eliminated the Glock and the Ruger SR9. The Glock's grip feels like a 2x4 and the Ruger's magazine release kept gouging my thumb.

Wayne

The .40 is my all time favorite defensive round, and if I was still in police work I would still be carrying it. But if you're going to shoot any quantity of it to speak of, its recoil is only tolerable in an all steel pistol and its cost is only bearable if someone else is providing the ammo. So all of my auto pistols are now 9mm's. They are thoroughly enjoyable to shoot and my ammo bill doesn't break the bank like the .40 did. Also, bullet technology has advanced sufficiently in the last decade to once again make the 9mm a very good defensive round.

I cannot imagine enjoying the .40 in a plastimatic pistol. So unless you are going to get a heavy pistol, I'd avoid it. The advice to shoot it before you buy it is golden.

JP

• 2 weeks later...

If you go Glock you will be better off if you stick to 9mm. The 9mm series seem to be less problematic than the bigger Glocks. The have been instances of catastrophic failures of the larger caliber Glocks. Mostly with hand loads, but some with good quality factory ammunition.

Whatever you get, stay away from loads with lead bullets. Stick with jacketed ammunition.

Check to see where any IDPA, USPSA or GSSF matches are being conducted in your area. If possible, stop by one of the matches and see if any of the competators would let you shoot a few round through their guns to get an idea of how the model of pistol you want would fit you. Usually the shooters are a good lot of folks and are willing to help out. Even minor variances in gun weight, sighting length (like a Glock 17 versis a Glock 34), safety / mag release lever position and grip size / angle of grip can make or break whether a gun is a pleasure to shoot or a constant problem. Of the plastic gripped guns, I personally have found the Glock 34 to be the right fit for my hand size, others like the S & W MP series or the Springfield XD. The CZ 85 Combat and SP-01 series of pistols are also a couple of models you might seek out to try, if you decide to go the all metal frame route.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a big fan of the .40; I owned four different Glocks in that caliber. Now I'm down to one.

9mm is accurate, cheap and a good stopper when put on target.

.45 is perhaps not quite as accurate, but a real manstopper.

.40 is a compromise that solves no problems, and only asks more questions, in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to buy a Glock, why not join the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation? Membership allows you to purchase one Glock pistol at a discounted price each year. The discount varies by dealer, but ranges from around $75 to $100. Plus, if you get your Glock from a law enforcement supplier, it will come with 3 magazines at no additional charge. Also, membership in GSSF is affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program, so if you think you might be interested in an M1 someday, you're already set to order with your GSSF membership.

Initial cost for an annual membership is $35, with annual renewals at $25. If you're a member of the "Annual New Glock Club" like me, membership easily pays for itself.

For more information on the GSSF, click the link! Click Here

Yah I've heard of it but let me get this straight. You're saying joining the GSSF would make one CMP compliant? My brother has expressed interest in shooting the M1 Garand.

You bet! If you join GSSF, you're automatically an affiliate member of the Civilian Marksmanship Program! You're ready to stop in their store in Ohio and check out what's available, get the CMP Catalog, or bid on rifles on their auction site.

Click Here

and

Click Here