Practically Shooting

Feeding Frenzy at Walmart

Scotty

Witnessed the spectacle yesterday of an ammunition shipment arriving at Walmart. Poor guy wheeled out a cart piled high with ammo and was immediately swarmed. Looked like a bunch of vultures picking over a gazelle carcass. The Walmart guy looked miserable.

My entertainment for the weekend.

I went to WM a couple of days ago and they actually had .45 ammo. It was the Federal Champion 230 ball for 15.97 a box. They had 6 boxes and I bought them all. I was just lucky. It's been very spotty on all types of centerfire ammo for the last year at WM.

I don't see any bare ammo shelves around here anymore. just last May/June most stores were either out or extremely short of supply.

Wayne

Except for Walmart, you're right.

.380 is still tough. Most places have limits. The .380 shortage must be due to lots of concealed carry weapons being sold.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I don't see any bare ammo shelves around here anymore. just last May/June most stores were either out or extremely short of supply.

Wayne

Except for Walmart, you're right.

.380 is still tough. Most places have limits. The .380 shortage must be due to lots of concealed carry weapons being sold.

I was going to take my PPK/S to the range today since I have not shot it in 25 years. Went looking for 380 ammo yesterday. I didn't realize there was a shortage of 380, so I was a bit taken aback when the clerks kept looking at me like I was nuts when I'd ask for a box of 380. I went to 5 different places and no one has any 380. Most said they didn't know when they would be getting any. Academy said February at the earliest. I came back home and bought 2 boxes of Federal 380 on gunbroker.com.

I think you're right about concealed carry permits. In the course I took last Saturday, the instructor gave us the latest stats he had for SC: As of October SLED had granted over twice as many CWPs in 2009 as they granted total in 2008.

The shortage in 380 has got to be killing the sales of guns chambered for that round. I can't imagine anyone buying a new 380 auto and then being told by the clerk he doesn't have any ammo for it and doesn't know when they will have any.