Practically Shooting

AR OR Another Pistola?

CamuMahubah

Really enjoy the Glock 23. I think tho...I want an M&P .40 and an XD. I'm not sure which XD I want. For some reason Cabela's has quite a few used XDM's and regular XD's in both .40 and 9mm. I do however know which M&P I want.

One glaring thing about the M&P I don't like is that right on the slide it says..."Warning:Gun will still fire without magazine" or something like that. Do we really need that spelled out for us? I think this detracts from the guns looks. Of course I don't want the gun for its looks and I will prolly get one. A lot of forums topic revolve around the M&P being the softest shooting .40. I'm getting to know the .40 though and don't believe recoil is a problem for me. Cost of ammo is though so the 9mm M&P will be considered too.

Another thing my little brother has been bitten by the AR Black Rifle craze! He wants me to get an AR to shoot at the range. I have no problem with this but they are so many to choose from, just as soon as I buy one I will find another set-up I would want more. So it's gonna take me even longer to pick one than it did picking out a polymer 9mm. And I didn't even get a 9mm.

There are a few used AR's around here but I think they're quite expensive for used. I kinda like the DPMS models that a local dealer has but they are "plain janes". Another words they are M16 clones with the straight stock and long barrel. Of course I could always buy another stock...would be stuck with the non-detachable handguard tho if I bought one of these. So I'll need to custom order one or pay more for an RRA that another dealer has. For some reason the RRA's don't grab my attention as much as the DPMS. I know they are pretty similiar but I cain't see why they cost so much more. Like $400 more. Maybe cause they have rails and detachable handguards.

So I'm wanting to save up for either the M&P .40 or an AR...ah decisions, decisions!

Your thoughts please? I have two guns...a Yugo M24/47 and a Glock 23. What would you recommend next for someone with a limited arsenal such as mine? Price isn't really a huge issue as I know how to put money away it just takes longer. Glad I saved for the Glock instead of settling for a cheaper semi-auto.

So recommend an AR or the M&P, of course I don't always listen to reason but I like to talk guns and well you guys here are the ones I talk guns with...

Primary Purpose: Range Use

Secondary Purpose: WTSHTF

Those two reasons above are the two things I think about when I consider a firearms purchase. And ummm all that SHTF stuff is a far off second. Any gun that is a good range gun(bowling pin killer at up to 300 yards automatically by design will also double nicely as a SHTF weapon IMO.)

Thanks for yalls time and opinions!

Yah well, who makes the S&W M&P AR15. Surely on my list if it's American made.

Thing is with the M&P .40 handgun is there is no midsize. You either buy the big one or the little one. My hand fits the Glock Compact like "white on rice". Otherwise I woulda bought the M&P but I'm might be fixin' too taking the CCW class for Nebraskastan and the G23 will do it and shoot bowlin' pins at 100 yards all day long!

The Smithy AR15's are a distant third choice because of one thing. Price. They are just a bit more than the DPMS.

Awww...man I've got an itch that needs scratched! Remember what happened last time I had an itch?

And if yall need clarification on the above post lemme know...I work nights and I'm headed to bed...

Well what I would do is get a lower ($130 max) then get a pre assembled upper. I picked up from Midway the other month a DPMS A2 upper for $399. So $400 for the upper, $130 for the lower, $55 for the lower parts kit, $65 for the stock and $650 I know what I have.

Then get either a conversion kit for $100-$150 for .22lr or a dedicated upper for around $500. The dedicated is a little more accurate but quite a bit more $$.

The beauty of this is that you have the same trigger for both calibers and you use normal mags for both guns. The 22lr mags are below $20 and .223 mags (depending if you want Pmags or normal steel/aluminum mags) are $6-$17. So for $800 you can have the .223 and .22lr conversion kit! Best of both worlds for the $$.

Here is one of my builds.

The dedicated .22lr upper is what is on the lower and the .223 A2 upper (the one from Midway) is above. Both shoot perfectly.

LOVE the ARs! Also love M&P but you already have a .40S&W handgun. I'd suggest the AR for the next weapon. Then a shotgun. Then a ......... grin

Take care, Bill

Great idea Bill! Hmmm... I could buy a component each payday.

I don't know why I didn't think of this!

I've got no problem spending other peoples money helping out! grin

I'll have to go slighty off topic and tell you my break in story on the DPMS Upper in the photo above.

So I'm the "shoot one and clean the barrel after each shot" most of the time. So I get this out on the range and decide to shoot at a 5qt QS jug filled with water about 75 feet out. Little windy but not bad. So I shoot at the jug and nothing hit! What? So I clean it and shoot again with my Dad looking to see where I hit. Missed again!

Okay clean it again and this time, pull out the table and take my time and bang! Miss! Wow this thing must be way off and we are not even seeing it hit near the #!@^ jug.

So about 50-60 ft we have a target stand set up that been shooting with the handguns. So I shoot 5 rounds (still cleaning between each shot) and doing it quite quickly then walk up to the target and all 5 are within a quarter. So what is happening? I walk over to the QS jug and the back is blown up/out and all shots that I fired hit it but since the jug is so thick and my .223 rounds are going past 3000 FPM we were not seeing the hits.

Used to hitting those jugs with either the .357mag carbine or .44mag carbine for maximum spat.

Like I said, love the AR platform!

Update: Cabela's has their Carbon 15 with a TRS-25 red dot sight for $649. It is a one day sale on the 26th and it only lasts for a couple hours.

The Carbon 15 has a composite upper and lower...

Hmmm...

Pass. Why? Because the BEAUTY of the AR platform is that if one part breaks or becomes damaged, you go get that part. Of the barrel is shot out or gets damaged you get just the barrel. If the lower needs to be replaced then you go get ANY mil-spec AR-15 lower for $100-$130 put in your old parts and back in business. Any spec'd part fits with another for the most part.

The composite are not standard in any way.

This is the reason why I went with a dedicated 22lr upper since it fits with the AR-15 platform. The mags fit the mag well since they are the same size as the normal AR-15 mags. The 22 AR-15 mag works with dedicated uppers or conversion kits.

A Ar-15 22 tactical rifle that is ONLY a 22lr most of them have their own mags that work only with that rifle. I don't want that myself.

Here is a photo of the evil 30 round mags that can be used in my AR-15s. The left one is the .22LR one. The next one is a Pmag (poly and VERY strong and $12-$17 depending on color and with a window or not) and last one is the metal one with anti-tilt (make sure ANY mag you buy has this!) follower. (about $6 up)

My 3 cents. Bill

The ummm Bushy is a 5.56mm and I just knew it was too good to be true. I think I'll pick up a DPMS from a semi-local dealer.

It's this one...

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1049

I know it don't have the adjustable stock but I can add that later right? I thought about building my own but the FFL's around here are pretty much laughing in my face when I tell them I want a stripped lower for $130.

I know what you meant Bill about the .22lr versions and them being basically non-interchangeable with other Black Rifle components.

The .22lr only S&W version is starting to look better and better though as a first .22 for myself and my brother to stalk bowling pins with. I like the the price of .22lr ammo. Not having one I might just pick one of those up and get the 5.56mm AR at a later date.

Ah decisions decisions...