Practically Shooting

Driving From Nebraska To Tennessee

CamuMahubah

Will be driving from NE to TN first part of November. Currently researching whether it's legal or not to take my handgun. My mother lives on seven acres about an hour east of Nashville. She lives on a hill surrounded by forest and a creek. Visiting during the summer as I was growing up I journeyed and wandered all over that land. Really beautiful. Lots of good places to shoot and I will definitely be shooting my bb gun that I left in there when I was fourteen. That is if it still works. Or I'll buy another when I get there.

I asked my mom if I could shoot on her land and she says my cousins and aunt who has a CCW do all the time. So why not? I'll be there a week and getting some shooting done should be fun. My cousin is a Kentucky Highway Patrol and I think he carries the .45 GAP. If he were to visit like I hope he can while I'm there it would be nice to go shootin'.

So far it looks as if I lock up my gun in the case in the trunk with the unloaded mags in the glovebox with the ammo(I'll prolly buy ammo at wallyworld in TN). I should be fine. I'll be driving across Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky on my way.

If anyone feels this is illegal let me know. I'm checking the NRA site right now on the Interstate Right To Carry Reciprocity as we speak.

If I am pulled over would you recommend I tell the officer right away my gun is locked in the trunk or not mention unless they ask if I'm carrying any firearms. My plan is to not say anything unless asked. I'm a safe driver but you never know how things will go on the interstates.

If it's gonna be a big deal I'll just shoot my bb gun when I get there if it still works or buy a new one and leave it with my mom. She has a .38 snubby but it's so old and I don't think it would be fun to shoot anyways but I might!

So Thanks and let me know!

I don't know what TN laws are but never volunteer (even in the "volunteer state") information such as firearms to LEO. Nothing against LEO but it can cause more trouble than keeping a tight lip.

Ditto. Answer the officer's questions but don't volunteer anything. If it's a routine traffic stop what you are carrying in your trunk is irrelevant.

Before I carry in any state that my permits allow, I always print out the pdf for that state from handgunlaw.us AND go to that state's carry website and review their laws. Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse. And whatever you do, don't even THINK of carrying in IL - you will spend time in jail if you get caught. In IL make sure ANY firearm you have in your car is unloaded and is "enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container" (that's what the law says). You do not have to have them in the trunk or out of reach, and you can have a loaded magazine in the container with your gun, but NEVER in your gun.

Wayne

Kentucky and Tennessee laws are confusing me. I think you have to open carry where the gun is in sight and unloaded. I want the gun locked in the trunk in it's case.

So I'll prolly nix the idea all together. Haven't had a vacation in a few years and I'm hoping the weather holds out. Don't wanna be worried about going to jail...

That said my mom doesn't have a .22 Maybe I should get her to buy one to plink around with on the farm. And leave it there and have it registered in her name. It'll be her gun and I know she'll like it as when her sister comes over they can shoot together. Since my grandparents passed my mom lives on the farm by herself with lots of relatives nearby and they come to the farm to shoot. I was hoping to get my mom interested in shooting a handgun for PD. And maybe after some good ol' .22 plinking fun she might do that!

So far I've gotten nothing but conjecture on Bob. Ah well I have found a site that has each and every state's laws on car carry posted. Ignorance of a law is not a defense in court. However laws change so one must so diligent in keeping up with them all!

Imma safe driver. And they don't need to know what's in my trunk at a routine traffic stop.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

You can legally transport the weapon per federal law in an unloaded locked case, presuming you are traveling from one state/municipality to another state/municipality where you can have the weapon. You cannot have extended stays in states/municipalities that restrict the weapon. For example, you can travel through IL with the weapons, but not stay overnight there with them. You may make "reasonable" stops for food, fuel, bathroom breaks, etc, but not extended duration stays.

United States Code title 18, Article 1, Chapeter 44, section 926(a) "Interstate transportation of firearms".

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

NOTE: this is about transporting the weapon legally in a locked case, not CCW. Many states have reciprocity, but some key ones to not. There are many sites (as suggested) that cover those topics.

Yah in Tennessee I talked to my cousin whom I had never met before and he explained the law to me. He is a major in the Air Force and we had a good ol' time talking guns and catchin' up.

He drove from Texas and brought his Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. I didn't take any guns with me but next time I will. I didn't want to have to worry so this time I didn't.

Now that I have a somewhat clearer understanding of the law and know how to handle myself if I am pulled over I feel better about transporting guns.

I don't know why I even worry I never do anything that gets me pulled over and I never do anything that would get my car searched...

I just wanted to be clear on the law.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6087

Saw this over at Glock Talk. This is why I was concerned about driving with a gun. The laws are so confusing at times. This guy did everything by the book yet New Jersey decided to put him in prison for transporting two handguns that were locked up and unloaded.

Seven years for that! C'mon New Jersey!

• 3 weeks later...