Practically Shooting

Cast lead bullets in polygonal rifled barrels

wwillson

I used to have quite a few Glocks and have shot tons of lead in .45acp and .40 S&W. (Always had other sources for all the 9mm ammo I needed)

The lead was not as accurate as the copper bullets (and I tried MANY different loads) and as long as you kept the velocity down no leading problems.

My other pistols with normal rifling are more accurate with lead than the Glocks.

I have seen a few kabooms with Glocks and each one was with copper bullets not lead.

Take care, bill

[sNIP] Is the glock problems due to the unsupported cases in certain calibers?

I've heard this is the case, especially with .40 S&W- I have seen photos of Glock and third-party barrels and the aftermarket ones do indeed appear to support the round much better but that's just what I've seen via photos. I also read somewhere that for some unknown reason a certain powder (AA#2????) seems to be associated with a higher-than-average number of KB's with Glocks but that only qualifies as hearsay from me.

I bought an early G21 and put a few thousand rounds of lead through it with no problems. I think Glock states not to use reloads in their guns (like every other manufacturer) and that somehow got translated on the web as "no lead".

I have yet to hear ANY plausible explanation why lead will explode a Glock.

I can tell you from personal experience that Glock specifically states to not use lead in their weapons. I've been through five Glock Armorer certifications now (once every 3 years). Their concern is for the hex-barrel not having relief area (grooves) for lead to express itself into.

My neighbor and I reload much of our own ammo. Part of the reason I stick with Cu is because we are non-discript in what we put the reloaded ammo into. I have a couple of SMGs that I also shoot with the same 9mm. You cannot tolerate lead fouling well at 1200 rounds a minute! So, we just stay away from lead all together.

At the Sheriff's Office, we only shoot new ammo because of the liability of a public entity having to follow OEM directives. At home, I don't mind reloads at all, but I do ensure they are Cu. And I never shoot my duty weapon at home; that Glock is owned by the Office, so I follow the SOPs to the "T". My own personal Glocks do see reloads, but only quality Cu made stuff by me/neighbor.

In no way am I saying it (lead) can't be done. I'm saying that for me, given my training and my scenarios of weapon diversity, it's not something I do. Not worth the risk for me. However, as always, each must analyze their own situation, weigh the risks, and make his/her own individual determination.

(note - I'm likely biased, so take my answer with a grain of salt)

Sheriff's Deputies often cover large vast areas. We have to be all things to all people. In my county, we have shanty-shack trailer parks right down the road from 7-figure estates. Some would call us two-faced if they saw us bounce from joking with Bubba, to hob-knobing with The Man, but it works wonders when you can walk the walk and talk the talk. And for me, I can be just as comfortable in either situation.

Overall, I've known some great inner-city cops and some "iffy" deputies. But overall, I'd have to say that most times, Sheriff's Deputies seem to be more level headed. We have strengths and weaknesses just like all people; perhaps we're just better at managing it?

Best compliment I ever got?

" Man - you're a &*$#@, but at least you're a fair &*$$@ ".

Can't ask for more than that ... wink

When I got my Glock 23 I also bought a barrel from Lone Wolf specifically to shoot lead bullets. But when I went to purchase bullets I noticed that the cost of Berry or Rainier plated bullets really wasn't that much more than commercial lead bullets.

After shooting almost 1000 of the Rainier bullets I'm a believer in them. The accuracy is good and cleaning is so much easier that I have no interest in shooting lead anymore.

Unless people are casting their own bullets, I don't see much reason to shoot lead. If I never shoot another lead bullets I'll be perfectly happy.

• 2 months later...