Practically Shooting

Colt Gold Cup Trophy 1911 Government

Pablo

OK That's it. No where to be found here.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtGoldCupSeries.aspx

If you can find this gun, I will kiss thank you grin

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_264269

I have now decided I will spend more* and get this one.

*more than I planned, not more than a good deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217755791

OK - so I will compare the totals vs. local and post them up.

$1070+$15 shipping (pretty good!)+ $70 License fee+ $100 sales tax. $1255

So far - no local price except the one.

$976+$92 sales tax. $1068

Thanks!!

BTW - You think I could put wood grips on that?

OK - so I will compare the totals vs. local and post them up.

$1070+$15 shipping (pretty good!)+ $70 License fee+ $100 sales tax. $1255

So far - no local price except the one.

$976+$92 sales tax. $1068

Thanks!!

BTW - You think I could put wood grips on that?

What is the $70 license fee? The FFL transfer? Can't you find a local pawn shop dealer who will do it for $25-$30?

I hate to sound like I can't wait to bash every one of your gun choices, but I have to say this: Although I love Colt 1911s, I'm not a Gold Cup fan. I'm not sure what edge they have over a plain old Gov't Model except for adjustable sights, and that might be of questionable good. They have a few negatives of their own, too.

I've never had a Gold Cup, so I'm probably speaking where I shouldn't, but...

The biggest negative I have against buying one is that they use a few parts unique to them. The barrel and trigger are different from a Gov't, and correspondingly, so are the slide and frame.

The barrel has a narrower hood, and therefore the slide has a narrower cut to match. A regular Gov't barrel won't work unless it's hood is milled down.

The trigger is wider, with the frame having a wider slot cut for it. A regular GM trigger will slop around in there.

Gold Cups have used different lock parts at times over the years, but I think they may be the same across the board now.

For a long time, the Gold Cup was considered less durable than the GM, but that has nothing to do with my apprehension on getting one. The alleged "weaknesses" are corrected by swapping out two easily changed parts.

They used to come with a lighter recoil spring installed. They also used to come with two springs- a lighter target spring in the gun and a standard spring in the box, but they later went to including only one spring. I'm not sure now which one it was, but I think the standard. No matter, the reputation was set in people's heads that "Gold Cups couldn't take anything but target loads", which is nonsense.

The other weak point was the cross pin on the rear sight, the pin it pivoted on for elevation adjustment. They used a puny roll pin, which broke or simply disappeared while shooting. Nothing wrong with a roll pin if it's the right size, but there's was a little small for the job. Most people replaced it with a solid pin and had no trouble.

So for a $7 recoil spring, a 50 cent pin, and 15 minutes' time, the "weaknesses" were fixed.

If Gold Cups actually had better triggers or were more accurate guns than a regular old GM, I'd feel better about them. From what I can tell, they are no better fitted than a GM (although that hasn't always been the case). Any of the ones I've tried made in the last 30 years had triggers that were no better than a typical GM.

I don't know how to say this that isn't harsh, but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the Gold Cup's reason for existence is. Competitive Bullseye shooters don't use them, except maybe as a basis to build a custom gun on, and then they usually use a GM for that since it's cheaper and is only serving as the basic chassis. IPSC/IDPA shooters don't buy them. I don't know of anyone anymore who carrys a Gold Cup. Truthfully, the only people I've seen buying Gold Cups in the last several years are people who have a bunch of Colts and didn't have a Gold Cup.

Other than that, I'm not sure who is buying them, and don't see that Colt can sell enough to warrant making them. They were dropped for a while, then came back as a Custom Shop-only item after that. I can see why it's a limited production item, and that's probably why you are having trouble finding one.

I'm not trying to say they are crappy guns. It's just that I'm not sure what they really offer over a GM except an adjustable sight, and that may not be all that big an advantage, if any.

I've had the Gold Cups. I would describe them as being a little on the fragile side. They usually come with a light recoil spring and if you are not aware of it you'll beat the thing to death with standard ammo. Match ammo is loaded to the lighter side. The rear sight was always an issue. My last Colt 1911s were of the Special Combat version and they have been extremely accurate and reliable out of the box. I have done absolutely nothing to either one and can shoot them with the best of them. You probably don't want to spring the bucks for one and if you are looking for a great shooter, I'd suggest the standard Gov't model and mod it to do what you want.