Practically Shooting

Gun (Handgun) Exercises

Pablo

I know you guys all have big "guns", but do you do any specific body stretching/exercises to improve your shooting?

I have found something particularly helpful with handgun shooting for my office potato arms. I have a set of 12 pound solid hand weights (barbells, dumbbells, whatever) - I just put one in my right hand and hold it out just like a pistol/revolver. I hold it as long as can, then repeat. I do some 10-15 minute sessions 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I switch to the left when my right arms tires. Once a day, I do the same but quick twitch the weight in my right hand like it's recoil. In couple directions as well. Not that any of my guns are heavy, but man when I go into my normal two handed grip, I'm much much more steady, the gun feels like nothing - and I only just started.

And I thought I was the only one. I use a 25lb short bar and do the same thing, but I'm a big guy. It helped me a lot. On a good day I can shoot almost the same group offhand as I do from bags and that's not bad considering most of my pistols are 1" group guns at 25 yds from bags. Unfortunately, my little brother is still the better shooter. He practices with a Super Blackhawk at a 6" steel plate at 100 yds. He does not miss......the little creep.