Practically Shooting

Bovine protection mission soon

wwillson

My cousin and I are going on a Bovine protection mission in September to South Dakota. Ok, "Bovine protection mission" really means shooting prairie dogs, enough with the PC speech.

We'll be shooting our Bushmaster Varminters hopefully from sun up to sun down. We hope to shoot about 1,000 rounds each, but that might be a bit optimistic. If we can keep from getting sunburned, bitten by a rattle snake, and not get rained on it should be great fun.

This is the first time shooting prairie dogs for both of us. If anyone has any pointers, suggestions, or hard lessons learned we would be interested in hearing from you.

Wayne

Will you be walking or shooting from a bench? One of my hunting buddies went out west a few years ago to shoot P-Dogs with his .243 and he said most of their shooting was from portable shooting benches. Shoot for a while, drive to another spot and shoot some more. The ranchers family, on whose property they were shooting, even made them all dinner for helping out with his varmint problem. Just from what he told me, you should have a great time. Good luck and keep us updated as to how things went.