Practically Shooting

My new CC is a revolver!

Scotty

I've been trying to decide on a concealed carry gun for sometime now and have been looking at various autos in the .380 or 9mm category. Today I handled a Ruger LCR for the first time and I bought it. Did not even consider a revolver until I saw this one. What a neat gun. Handles .38+P. Combination aluminum and polymer frame, Stainless cylinder and barrel, and Hogue grip. It has the best trigger pull I've felt on a revolver in a long time. Weight is less than 14 oz. I normally don't care much about the appearances but I think it looks great.

Can't wait to shoot it but it will be a few days before I can get to the range.

I just felt that the PF-9 was a gun I would never get completely comfortable with, although it's a great concept. Familiarity is important with a CC gun and handling it needs to be second nature.

I also struggled with the auto v. revolver reliability thing (not to start that argument here)and concluded that a good revolver would be best in my case. I would also like my wife to be able to use it some day and I can't see her dealing with an auto.

The LCR is unconventional and might look a little funky to some. To my eyes it looks great. I had trouble finding any negative reviews about it and the price was decent: $429+tax.

Anxious to shoot it now. It's so light that I fully expect it to have some bite to it. But that's OK.

"It's so light that I fully expect it to have some bite to it. But that's OK." Scotty

Don't jump to foregone conclusions 'till you've actually shot that little beast! They are excellent carry guns,,as long as you don't plan to actually practice much.

A friend who's the most committed gun nut I've ever known plays around with 45/70's experimenting with loads. Builds 1911's from raw parts. His wife wears something on her hip anytime she's working in the yard, flowers, garden, or just sitting on the back deck, shoots copperheads, 'dillers, etc. Between them they kept a LCR less than a month. Loads that were comfortable for much practice were too weak for anything else.

Bob

The plan here is to practice a lot with light loads, but only occasionally with heavy ones. The idea being to get really familiar with the gun but also to know what to expect with a real self-defense load if the occasion arises.

I just need to put some lead downrange and see for myself.

Now for my quick and dirty range report:

Put 100 rounds through the LCR yesterday and was pretty impressed. Shooting 158 gr. Federal LRN I ended up with about a 15" spread at 10m which isn't bad for me. The little bugger has some kick to it but it's not obnoxious. After 100 rounds though I was ready to shoot something else. The Hogue grips are great and have just the right amount of "give" to them. Trigger is excellent and enabled me to keep on target through the pull.

This is the sort of gun I need to practice a lot with to keep sharp and I'll do that. I didn't try any +P loads but will soon. However, I would have no problem sticking with standard pressure ammo for defense should the +P prove to be too much with respect to accuracy and blast.

No negatives to speak of. Happy with the purchase.