Practically Shooting

I cut the end of my trigger finger off tonight

wwillson

Seriously...

I was helping my neighbor hang drywall when a piece that I holding slipped and fell. My finger was sticking through a cutout for an electrical box so the falling drywall was like a finger guillotine. It cut off the end if the finger about half way up the nail and broke the end off the bone. It wasn't completely severed, so the doctor was able to stitch it back on without much trouble. The doctor said I will probably get most of the feeling back in the pad, which is my biggest concern with shooting.

ouch!

Seriously...

I was helping my neighbor hang drywall when a piece that I holding slipped and fell. My finger was sticking through a cutout for an electrical box so the falling drywall was like a finger guillotine. It cut off the end if the finger about half way up the nail and broke the end off the bone. It wasn't completely severed, so the doctor was able to stitch it back on without much trouble. The doctor said I will probably get most of the feeling back in the pad, which is my biggest concern with shooting.

ouch!

I sliced a chunk off the end of my right thumb when I was a teen ager, right about down to the tip of the bone, it was hanging by a good flap so they stuck it back on.

The problem I have is not with feeling in the pad - it's the feeling in the tip. It has always felt like there is little to nothing between the finger tip and the bone.

I think you will be able to shoot fine, but it may take you awhile to get used to the feel of your new finger, and hopefully it won't look too funky. My thumb looks like I cut the end off of it and somebody stuck it back on ....

I shot two rounds of trap today. The finger didn't feel great out in the cold and after two rounds I'd had enough. I didn't quite hear what UplandBri called me under his breath for shooting with stitches in my finger, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't nice... He beat me, but I do have a good excuse!

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

The stitches came out yesterday, which is good as I don't have to worry about snagging them on anything.

The Dr. said that the one area that's still numb will slowly get better over the next 18 months as the nerves on the other side slowly take over (I don't understand how that works!). It will never been 100%, but pretty close. I shot trap again Sunday and it was just like normal, except it hurts a bit when cold.

Wayne