Practically Shooting

Any experience with Taurus revolvers?

Scotty

Looking at a Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite revolver for CC. I can get a new one in blue for $300. Does anyone have experience with this one, or even Taurus revolvers in general? Is a comparable S&W snubbie worth the extra cost?

Taurus was questionable at one time. But I understand they have stepped up their game.

Bought that exact revolver for the wife back in the spring. Loaded it up with pretty run-of-the-mill 125gr jhp reloads. Fired 2 cylinders, thinking it was rather viscious, She ran a cylinder full through it, handed it back to inspect the tear in the web of her thumb/index finger joint, and told me "you need to sell or trade this, I'll never shoot it again". That's exactly what I did.

Bob

I bought this M85 for the wife for conceal carry, she then decided she would rather have the Ruger SP101 in 357 for her CC gun, now the Taurus resides in her nightstand.

I also own a model 607 in 357 and a Raging Bull in 454 Casull, all of which are very good guns. From my experience there were a few years there in which the QC was suspect at Taurus, seemed like 04 to around 08 I handled lots of Taurus revolvers that had timing issues and just poor fit and finish.

I shot a Judge in the range one day a couple months ago. I was not impressed with the timing mechanism for the cylinder. There were a couple instances where I had to fiddle with the trigger to get the cylinder to rotate properly...

The thing kicks like a mule with 3" .410 shotshells.

Wayne