Practically Shooting

Whats the most accuate .45 out of the box?

UplandBri

If I wanted a target 1911 .45 or .38 super for competition, I would pick up the phone and order a Les Baer if price was no object. Wilson would be a close second.

Now, if the price was under $1500, different story. I would try and find a good used series 70 Colt Goldcup and start from there.

I did shoot a Marvel .22 conversion on a series 70 Colt and was truly impressed. It was more accurate than my model 41 S&W and almost as good as my High Standard. Something about the feel of a 1911 that I can't explain. You know what I mean.

In my old Bullseye days, I used a S&W model 52 that was fantastic. Not quite a 1911, but close. It was probably the MOST accurate pistol I had ever owned. Unfortunantly, It was stolen out of my truck along with my K-22 and a series 70 Goldcup after a match. I never got around to replacing them. I recently bought a used 52-2 and havn't tried it out yet. Skeet keeps getting in the way.

This weekend, my BIL and I are going to the range so I can teach him how to shoot his .45. It's a Springfield 1911 that he bought about 15yrs ago and has never fired. I will compare his Springfield to my S&W 1911. The sights on my Smith are much better but at 7 & 15yds it shouldn't make much difference. You are probably right and hopefully it works out. I still like the older Colt 1911's. The series 80, IMHO, was a boat anchor.

Any series 70? Even one that has been highly modified like your series 80?

What is the cost to John Q. public for his mods such as what you had done to your 80 and what was envolved in the "overhaul"? Did he remove the drop safety and fit a new trigger?

C r

- BOB MARvEL

2303 CoumyRD:::CREm, NE 66333

custom pistols [email protected] www.BOBMARVELGUNS.COM custom dzsijn

Arkie Lefty 3-23-07

COLT COMBAT ELITE

XXXXXXX

MR. Lefty,

THE FOLLOWING WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED ON YOUR PISTOL, WITH THE HELP OF JOE CHAMBERS:

CROSS D/E FRONT SIGHT WITH RED FIBER OPTIC

BLENDED THE FRONT SIGHT INTO THE SLIDE $60.00

S/A B/I GRIP SAFETY (SS) BLENDED TO THE FRAME AND TESTED FOR CORRECT RELEASE $100.00

NM BUSHING FIT TO FIELD USE AT .002” TOL $40.00

BARREL: HOOD WELDED AND RECUT ADDING .026” TO HOOD LENGTH

HOOD TO BREECH GAP IS.0015” FINISHED LUG TO HOOD LENGTH 1.325”

FINISHED CHAMBER DEPTH IS .919” $ 40.00

CROWNED BARREL - THROATED BARREL AND RAMP - DRESSED AND POLISHED

REPLACED HAMMER (HAMMER HOOKS AT .018”) $50.00

CORRECTED SEAR ANGLES (SEAR OAL: .775”)

REPLACED SEAR SPRING AND INSTALLED AN 80 SERIES BLOCK $ 15.00

REPLACED TRIGGER AND SET 0/I SCREW (PLEASE LEAVE ALONE)

TRIGGER JOB SET AT CRISP 4# PULL WITH MODERATE TAKE UP AND SLIGHT AFTER TRAVEL

CORRECTED MAGAZINE WELL AND INCREASED MAG FEED ANGLE $40.00

CORRECTED MAGAZINE CATCH AND CATCH LOCK

CORRECTED RECOIL ROD

CORRECTED AND SET BACK THE EXTRACTOR BY .0 18” $40.00

STIPPLE THE REAR OF THE SLIDE $ 25.00

STIPPLED THE FRONT STRAP AND CUT MARVEL PATTERN INTO THE GRIP $100.00

RELIABILITY PACKAGE $285.00

HAND POLISHED SLIDE AND FRAME - BLUED SLIDE $185.00

DISCONNECTOR RAIL MARVEL CUT

TEST FIRED THE WEAPON WITH 200 + ROUNDS OF VARIOUS AMMO

(JOE MISSED THE TARGET EVERY TIME, BUT THE GUN WORKED GREAT)

RETAIL PRICE $990.00

THANK YOU

JOE CHAMBERS

She's been in the safe a year or so now. Fired several hundred rounds thru her when I first got her back. Functioned flawlessly with really good and really bad reloads. Joe says it's accurate (in spite of Mr. Marvel's humor), good enough for me, I'm a terrible pistol shot. Minute of S. O. B. at 10, or so yards is good enough for me.

I'll take stippling over checkering every time! Yea, that's stippling on the back of slide(eliminate glare)!

Bob