Practically Shooting

One of a kind .700 caliber rifle

wwillson

No thanks. Ever shoot anything with strong recoil that made your vision sorta "sparkle" for a split second? I'm told that's your retinas starting to pull away from the eye. I don't know if that's true, but I don't really want to know.

I have a 7.5 pound .375 H&H Mag (Sako M995 Carbine) that is just about my threshold.

I've shot a .460 Weatherby Magnum in a bolt action and you knew when it went off. Did not have a "sparkle" moment but it was something you'd only want to shoot once or twice a day.

Also shot a .50 cal barrett but the .460 was "harder" on the shoulder IMO. (or maybe I was having a different day when I shot it)

We shot the .460 at a 40-50 gallon plastic drum full of water (the blue ones you use for water storage) at 150 yards. You knew when you hit it! Just a wall of mist. And the ammo I shot was a FMJ (I don't even know if you can get JHP or JSP for that round?) so it was pure energy transfer.

What got me was the noise that thing made. I had plugs PLUS muffs and still rang for a hour or so. IIRC it was ported so I'm sure that did not help in the noise department.

I'm not into too much big stuff so I like to shoot others but would not get into it for my self. My ARs and .357/.44 mag carbines make me happy enough. If I really want to blow up jugs or such a 12 gauge slug works wonders. t-up

Take care, Bill

The recoil didn't look much worse than a 460 Weatherby. My step dad is a collector of Weatherby Mark V Deluxe rifles, and he has an early German made 460 without the muzzle brake, which I shoot every chance I get, and that .700 didn't look like it recoiled any worse than that.