Practically Shooting

Arkansas Deer Season

Arkie_Lefty

Started yesterday. Just can't work up much enthuiasm anymore. Really like venison, and have access to 660 acres directly behind my home. Have had a corn feeder attached to a walnut tree approx 75 ft from my back deck, deer are eating almost 75 lb. of corn weekly.

Anyhow, went ahead and sat in an old tripod stand where a main feeder powerline and a small 4-5 house powerline cross this morning, saw 5-6 does and a devils horn spike. This weekend and 2 days at Christmas are doe seasons in AR this year, but if I'd wanted a doe to eat, I'd have no qualms about poping one of those eating in the back yard, so I let them all walk this morning.

The wife has hunted and killed several deer in the past, but she hasn't shown any interest in several years, But after I got back home this morning she broached checking the scope settings and setting in a stand this evening. So that's what we proceded to do. Put her in the same stand (you will not set there without seeing deer). Sure enough about 4;oo she popped a mature doe from 100 yards+. Neck shot, dropped in it's tracks! Her rifle is a Mini-30 stainless with a laminate stock, currently a BSA 3X9/40 scope. I've owned a total of 3 mini-14's over the years, and all (reason I got rid of them) were minute-of-paper-plate accurate at 100 yds. Her Mini-30, though will shoot under 2 inches with about any factory ammo. Seems odd that the notoriously inacurate 7.62X39 cartridge will outperform the normally tackdriving .223, at least in this little beauty.

Goes without saying, I bragged her up, brought it home and sikined/gutted it. Hanging in the well house chilling (at least as cool as a little A/C unit can get it). In the morning I'll quarter it and lay it in the kitchen sink,,,she'll clean up my hairy mess, cut it up, package it and stick all that excellent protein in the freezer. D-A-M-N FINE WOMAN!!

Sure wish she'd waited and slayed that one in the back yard though,,,slightly less leagal or not!

Bob

Congrats!

Passed up a few smaller ones yesterday on my own property. Wish perhaps I had taken the last one; she was reasonable. Being early in the season, I thought prudence and descretion were the manner of the day.

Anyway, only slug guns or MLs for us here in IN, unless you count hand guns in legal calibers. Wish we had rifle use as well.

If it was legal to use a rifle I could just take one from my kitchen window and never even put my shoes on.

"Have had a corn feeder attached to a walnut tree approx 75 ft from my back deck, deer are eating almost 75 lb. of corn weekly." Me.

Me too! It is legal! I probably will! (Though it'll probably be a doe,,,slightly less legal whistle)

Bob

I agree with you,I think it is a silly regulation as well. What I was told by the local game warden was that due to the population density and relatively flat terrain if you miss a shot on a varmint there is much less of a chance of the bullet hitting a house or a person than if you miss a shot on a deer?