Practically Shooting

Got My 03FFL C&R License in the Mail Today

Tom

What should I buy?

I'm thinking a Swiss K31. The straight pull bolt is cool and they are made very well.

For those who don't know, a 03FFL is a collector's license that allows a person to mail order or cash and carry firearms deemed "Curio and Relic".

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 03FFL. What is deemed "Curio and Relic" to the ATF? There must be a standard of age, number produced, or something like that. Are the definitions of "Curio and Relic" negotiable?

How much did it cost you? How long did the approval take?

Wayne

C&R is 50+ years old (relic) or on the BATF list deemed "curio". It costs $30 for three years and takes about 3 months to process after you send in the basic paperwork and payment.

Besides the benefit of being a "collector" many companies such as Brownells and Midway give you a "dealer" discount, that's the main reason I got the license. There are some restrictions, you can't buy to resell, they don't want you acting as a dealer but you can buy/sell/trade if it's part of collecting.

Here's the BATF's FAQ

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Paperwork

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16-notice.html

Here's a couple companies that deal in C&R

J&G Sales

Aim Surplus

I don't think it gets much if any discount on ammo but it does allow you to directly order from wholesale/distributors that deal in C&R, So you could buy ammo they are offering. Most of the discounts from retailers are on parts and accessories.

I don't care for the Mosin Nagant or any of the other "cheap" surplus. I like the K31 because it's unique and accurate.

That Makarov would be a fun gun but the Tokarev shoots nicer. 10+ rnd Magazines are an issue here in Calif.

Ammo is definitely cheap for either.

If a nice Mauser caught my eye I might pick it up. My main reason for the license is for "dealer" pricing on parts.