Practically Shooting

Any Prairie Dog Hunters On The Board?

2010_FX4

About 7 years ago, we hunted near Hereford, TX (near Amarillo), but the guy that was promoting the hunts lost his lease and so we have had to move a bit further north. We hunted for about 4 years with DCPC in Montana (unfortunately we have to pay to hunt--you lucky dogs that hunt for free!), but this last hunt was VERY disappointing (in Wyoming) and so we will not be going back to hunt with them.

We found a place in Colorado that we are going to try out next year and if it remains as it was this past year (at least from what we saw), it should be fantastic.

We normally try to make 3 hunts a year (late May, early June, and late June), but it all depends on funds and how much ammo I have been able to reload (I am stuck with that chore for 4 hunters and 5 rifles).

Way back when, I tried to get my brother into it for a few years and when we finally went, he was hooked for life, as am I and so we have a family hunt each year.

Nothing like the sound of "whop" at 700+ yards!

=8^)

In the early days in TX and MT we went through about 1000 rounds per day, but this past summer in WY it was pitiful--probably less than 500 rounds in 2 days per rifle. I am not even sure that I capped 100 rounds in my 6MM BR, but I quit shooting to allow the younger guys (25 and 10) a chance to get their feet wet. They are hooked!

But I must also admit the two older shooters are much better shots than we once were (+ we have upgraded optics) and so we tend to shoot less than when we started (practice does make perfect).

The two younger guys go through quite a bit of .223 and .221, but I suspect they will burn even more next year as the Colorado location has quite a few more dogs.

Like you--we look forward to the yearly trips, if nothing else but for the camaraderie.

PS...what are you shooting?

The 6MM BR is shooting a 58gr. V-Max over 33.5gr of Accurate 2230 and so velocity is in the 3600-3800 range (it is a ball power so temp does affect it).

I think it handles the wind sufficiently but there are times that I have to use the reticle to compensate although not nearly as bad as the .17 (20 gr.), .221 Fireball (34gr.), .223 (50gr), or .22-250 (50gr.) typically does.

The advantage the .224 has over the .243 is cost and lesser recoil. While there are times that I see the explosion in the scope, I am not normally able to do so due to the recoil. The .224 guys see it all the time and so I am a bit envious of that!

The cost of the components is a lot less too for the .224 stuff and shy of the range and performance that is afforded me by the 6MM BR, the .223 remains my all around favorite varmint cartridge.

What are your experiences with it? Good or bad?

We've only been one time, but over all it was a very positive experience with the .223, to the point that I don't think I'd invest money in any other caliber trying chase more performance. We have to remind ourselves that we do this for the sheer entertainment and hitting the target every time isn't a requirement to be entertained... The Bushmasters we shoot are heavy and mine has a 5lb lead weight in the stock, so it's extra heavy. I can literally see where every shot hits, which certainly add to the fun.

We're reloading .223 for 18.5 cents/round, which is very reasonable considering what varmint rounds cost at retail. I've seen loaded Hornady varmint ballistic tips at Cabelas for right at $1.00 each!

The Bushmasters are just flawless, pull the trigger and it goes bang every time without fail.

I can't wait to go again!

Wayne