Practically Shooting

Eye Dominance

CamuMahubah

A few methods from Wikipedia:

#1 The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).

#2 The Porta test. The observer extends one arm, then with both eyes open aligns the thumb or index finger with a distant object. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the thumb/finger back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).

#3 The observer extends one arm, forms a small, circular opening with the thumb and index finger, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).

# The Dolman method also known as the hole-in-the-card test. The subject is given a card with a small hole in the middle, instructed to hold it with both hands, then instructed to view a distant object through the hole with both eyes open. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).

Wikipedia article

These tests show that I'm right eye dominant.

Wayne

Looks like I'm left eye dominate. Does this mean I should be shooting rifles left-handed?

Wow I cain't wait to get a pistol so I can try aiming with both eyes respectively to see if there is a difference. Watching Hickock45's FAQ on Eye Dominance got me thinking so I tested myself and I'm left eye dominant like Hickock. If you watch Hickock he shoots right-handed but uses his left eye to aim with. He says in the video that he still uses his right eye when shooting rifles. I know Hickock is not the ultimate expert on everything but he's right up there!

My lil brother wants to shoot left-handed but when we go to the range he shoots right-handed because the mauser is of course right-side bolt. Imma try left-handed next time I go and see how it feels. I've been shooting right-handed all my life. Granted I've only shot shotguns and .22's until I got my 8mm.

Hmmmm.....this is interesting. Good thing 8mm is 6 bucks for a box of 15 in my town.

Looks like I'm left eye dominate. Does this mean I should be shooting rifles left-handed?

I'm left eye dominant, but my dad trained me to shoot long guns right eye when I was very young. It comes naturally to me now. I shoot a handgun left eye, rifle and shotgun right eye.

GMAN you shoot like Hickock45 then! And ummm he ain't no slouch in the accuracy department.

How was the P95? Why did you sell it? I'm still considering one but I want a Glock so bad. Blame it on Hickock but nobody I shoot with has one and for years I thought they were horrendous foreign junk...that was until Hickock. I'm almost there at the price of admission. I'm gonna have to pay about $549 but I'm getting a G19 and I'm gonna learn to shoot it right handed with my left eye like you and Hickock!

I want a Glock because they are like an eighties Toyota 4x4. Bulletproof and ugly. Sometimes Ugly gets "real good lookin' when it works!"

GMAN you shoot like Hickock45 then! And ummm he ain't no slouch in the accuracy department.

How was the P95? Why did you sell it? I'm still considering one but I want a Glock so bad. Blame it on Hickock but nobody I shoot with has one and for years I thought they were horrendous foreign junk...that was until Hickock. I'm almost there at the price of admission. I'm gonna have to pay about $549 but I'm getting a G19 and I'm gonna learn to shoot it right handed with my left eye like you and Hickock!

I want a Glock because they are like an eighties Toyota 4x4. Bulletproof and ugly. Sometimes Ugly gets "real good lookin' when it works!"

The P95 is a good gun. I sold it because I wound up getting other 9mm pistols that I liked better.