Practically Shooting

Comparing S&W M&P 9c and Springfield XD Subcompact

wwillson

All,

I put this together as a quick comparison of some of the external differences between the S&W M&P 9c and the Springfield Armory XD Subcompact 9mm. Now that I've had a chance to fire both pistols, I'll add comments below.

The XD does have a bit more 'flip' and is a bit louder with a shorter barrel. The difference in flip is small and I don't consider it to be a factor in making a choice between either of these pistols.

They both were fired about 40 times and both performed flawlessly.

First let's take a look at these two fine pistols:

S&W M&P 9c

Springfield XD Subcompact

With the standard mags the XD is taller overall and has a taller slide and frame

Some pretty significant differences in the grip, safety, and height of the slide compared to the grip.

M&P is a slightly longer pistol

Straight walled grip in the XD vs an ergonomic grip in the M&P. The thicker grip on the XD spreads the recoil out over a larger surface, which make the recoil on the web of your hand less noticeable than the M&P. It's not a large difference, but it is noticeable.

Differences in the factory extended grips is significant. The XD extended mag holds 16 rounds vs 13 in the M&P. The XD extended mag makes the XD subcompact grip feel just like a full sized XD. The finger extension on the M&P adds no additional round count, but does add a place for the pinky finger to rest.

M&P w/standard mag. Gripping the pistol while shooting either with the standard mag was not a problem. I was surprised that there was absolutely no feeling of the grip slipping in my hand even with double and triple taps with either pistol.

M&P w/extended mag

XD w/standard mag

XD w/extended mag

• 4 months later...

I was given a 9mm XD compact 3 years ago by a friend and I like the feel so well that I bought a 40 XD sub compact. "Other than my son put dibs on the 9mm" That being said the XD is clunky feeling and bulky the XDm seems to have the bulk trimmed off. The trigger on the 3 XDs I own, "I also bought a tactical model 5" barrel" are all good enough and I really enjoy shooting them. They are not like a Dan Wesson Pointman or to a Wilson Combat in anyway but they are on sale always and can be picked up cheap. I am not impressed with Springfield Armory as a company they sell overpriced stuff for what you get.

imo I wouldn't pay list price for an XD. Cheap guns are great for purposes that they can get beat up in. I have looked at the S@W M@Ps they feel really good and S@W has always been a great company service wise. The M@Ps shorter in the grip which is an area where concealed carry could make it an advantage. I CCW an Airweight beause it is so small.

what stopped me from buying a M@P is the way the trigger is made. Though it seems to not be a problem in use. so which ever feels best and has the price that makes you want to give the seller the money buy it . With all guns you can learn to work with any given to you. If you have a choice the feel in your hand,the pointability and and how it shoots is what makes choose a gun. Probably the nicest pistol I have ever had in hand, feeling and accuracy etc has been a S@W M99.

So between the 2 IF you had to keep one which one would it be Wayne?

And more important... Why? grin

Bill

That an almost impossible question to answer, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll first start by stating that they are both fantastic pistols. I have to answer your question from the view that I my purpose for the pistols is to carry concealed. Both conceal sooo much easier than a pistol with a full length grip that they are in a class all by themselves. However, you asked me to choose, so here it goes. The M&P wins because it conceals slightly better than the XD.

If I had to sell one and keep the other, I'd sell the XD. There you have it!!

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Bill_in_Utah
So between the 2 IF you had to keep one which one would it be Wayne?

And more important... Why? grin

Bill

That an almost impossible question to answer, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll first start by stating that they are both fantastic pistols. I have to answer your question from the view that I my purpose for the pistols is to carry concealed. Both conceal sooo much easier than a pistol with a full length grip that they are in a class all by themselves. However, you asked me to choose, so here it goes. The M&P wins because it conceals slightly better than the XD.

If I had to sell one and keep the other, I'd sell the XD. There you have it!!

Wayne

Its good to see that both as far as shooting and "feel" are not in the mix, only how it conceals.

I may be getting an XD tactical from a co-worker who got it for Christmas and he needs the money bad. Has not shot it yet and comes with 5 mags since it was bought during their 3 mag promo.

With a 5inch barrel I'd not consider it for CCW so it would be just to help out the friend.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Now that I've shot both of these pistols about 600 times each over several times to the range, I have a clear favorite - the S&W M&P. Why you ask? Two very simple reasons. First the grip on the M&P is simply more comfortable and is more versatile with the interchangeable back straps. The second and much more important reason is the M&P has MUCH less muzzle flip than the XD. I attribute the reduced muzzle flip of the M&P to the fact that the centerline of the barrel is much lower on the M&P than the XD.

When shooting double/triple taps, the M&P is just much faster to get back on target.

I will still vouch for both as being fabulously reliable. If I had to choose between which one to keep, it would definitely be the M&P.

Wayne