Practically Shooting

Range Report: S&W 629 44 Magnum

G-MAN

The last 44 Magnum I had was a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I sold in 1982. I picked up this S&W 629 last week and took it to the range this past Wednesday. I was shooting Winchester 240 gr SJSP. I haven't fired a 44 in 30 years and the recoil was more stout than I remember.

Here are my first three targets showing my first 18 rounds fired from this new-to-me revolver. This was at 15 yards, Weaver stance.

G-Man,

The few times I've fired a .44 Mag the lasting impression is that the recoil makes the handgun not so much fun to shoot. I used to shoot with an older gentleman who would shoot nothing but .44 Mag, however he loaded down loads to about 800fps. The slower loads made the .44 Mag a gun you could plink with!

Wayne

G-Man,

The few times I've fired a .44 Mag the lasting impression is that the recoil makes the handgun not so much fun to shoot. I used to shoot with an older gentleman who would shoot nothing but .44 Mag, however he loaded down loads to about 800fps. The slower loads made the .44 Mag a gun you could plink with!

Wayne

I don't mind the recoil. After nearly 30 years, I'd just forgotten what a handful the 44 Magnum can be with full-house loads. I had to stop after 18 rounds because the top edge of the horn on the left grip was cutting into my thumb due to recoil. I've since taken my Drimmel and modified another set of Altamont grips to remove that sharp horn.

Great target and great gun, G-Man. I once had a mentor in the instruction business who required me to shoot a 30 round qualification course with his S&W .44 Mag and my elbows and wrists hurt for several days. I used to regularly shoot qualification courses with full house .357 loads, but the .44 was a whole different animal. I can't imagine absorbing that much recoil any more. More power to those who can. Hope you enjoy the pistol. It's a nice one.

JP

• 2 months later...