Practically Shooting

Got a Detective Special from 1974

G-MAN

I picked up this Colt D.S. on GunBroker last week and based on the seller's photos I intended to send it off and have it hard chromed. But I'm having second thoughts now. It cleaned up good and the famous Colt royal blue finish, despite several blemishes, is still quite good. Serial number puts production in 1974 and the gun shows no evidence that it's ever been fired. It's a shame it was not stored properly and rust was allowed to take hold in places. Lock-up and timing are perfect--yes, Colts really do lock-up like a bank vault.

Is this a .357?

No, it's 38 Special. The Detective Special is a D-Frame (Colt's smallest revolver frame) and was never chambered in .357. Unlike S&W, Colt never tried to build 357 revolvers based on their 38 Special frames. Colt's first 357 revolvers in the mid 30s were built on their 45 frame (the New Service 357) and 41 frame (the Official Police 357). About 45 years later, S&W finally created a 41-size frame (the L-Frame) for the 357.