Practically Shooting

S&W Model 19 and Dan Wesson 15-2V

G-MAN

The first handgun I ever bought was in 1979 and it was a Model 19-4, nickel, with a 4" barrel. When my dad passed away in 1984 I put a set of Model 10 grips on it and gave it to my mother for her personal protection. Like a dummy I traded the stock target grips for the smaller Model 10 grips, but Mom needed the smaller grips. I took my dad's Dan Wesson 15-2V and used that as my home defense handgun.

Now fast forward to 2010. I finally dug the 19 out of my mother's closet yesterday. The last time the gun was fired was before 1984 and the last time I remember cleaning it was sometime in the mid 90s. So for the last 15 or so years it's been zipped up in the gun rug. Needless to say, I was disappointed in what I found when I took it out of the rug. The once pristine mirror nickel finish is now completely frosted (except behind the grips) and there is noticeable rust showing through in several places. mad I have only myself to blame for letting the gun go this long without cleaning and oiling it.

Anyhow, I cleaned the gun good and then got online and I'll be calling S&W tomorrow to get the details on sending my 19 to them for refinishing. When I get it back I'll post some "after" pics for comparison.

Here are some pics of the 19 and the DW 15-2V:

In this next pic you can see some of the rust on the muzzle and ejector shroud:

gun cases are not a place to store guns-lesson learned I suppose.A friend left his 270 in a case,luck was with him as it had just started to rust,we were able to clean it up without having to re-blue.show us the result in a few

• 9 months later...