Practically Shooting

50 BMG kaboom - closing action with hammer?

wwillson

*Supposedly* this guy was using a hammer to close his action. You can see the results - ouch.

click here

Deep in the thread someone who was there and witnessed said the buy used his palm to close the bolt. The hammers were there to put up targets.

Ran across this post deep in the thread. Died laughing when I read it: "I see someone setting up nearby with a custom built portable cannon chambered in .499 WakTek Ackley-Improved Magnum using custom hand loads and built off a Ruger 10/22 receiver, I move as far away as possible. Same thing goes for shooters firing handloads, genuine cowboy relics, or arsenal refurbished rifles with milsurp ammo." grin

• 11 months later...

We used to have a guy in our club who was renowned as a handloader.

He was chronying a 12ga one day, and I wandered over to see how he was going (I was playing rangemaster on a tuning day). Shotgun was an old damascus barrel that he was so proud of, in spite of sloppy/wobbly action...didn't want to waste his skeet gun on development.

Velocities were all over the place, which he explained away as needing to perfect his coffee grinder technique...He'd bought bulk flake powder, and it was too slow. He was speeding it up by coffee grinder...saw his reloading bench, and there was a gallon glass jar full of green powder that looked like a sedimentary banded rock of all of the different burn rates that he prepared on different days.

Same bloke, different day, and his Sako .243 is screaming, and needing force to extract (and close as I ultimately found).

Wander over while they were checking targets, and pick up a few of his empties. .243 engraved on the side. Look at the base, and the primers are flat as, and the head stamp is 8mm.

Enquired as to their origin, and was told that he had a lot of ex mil 8mm cases (with their integral primer striker), and made them into .243 cases.

I asked about neck turning, and was met with a blank look. I explained the process, and the case material had to go somewhere, then he told me they were hard to close on, and he had to work DOWN from the starting load in the book.

He usually ended up with a lot of free space around him.

Same bloke...

our normal competitions are .22s at 30m standing, 60m sitting, and 90m prone.

In spite of having a Sako, this guy was all over the shop, a pop here, a bang there, an occasional boom...he was shooting anything that he could get his hands on.

I was trying to dispose of a brick of Remington subs that was peppering my face with powder each shot (looked like the cases weren't soft enough to obturate)...I wanted them gone, safely, but he took them, blinking profusely at each shot.

A bunch of guys for our Christmas presentation put together odds and sods of Grandad's old stuff. Shorts, longs, copper cases, verdigris et al. In a specially made joke box.

Which he shot.