Practically Shooting

1st Range Report: S&W M&P .40

Tom

Finally got out to the range with my new M&P .40 full size. Ran 100 round through it; 50 Russian made, 50 Independence brand. All fired flawlessly. Mechanically the pistol functioned great. The trigger has an easy pre-travel, then slight resistance to crunch (more on that later) with a fair amount of travel for reset. You can really feel a difference between the different backstraps. Just holding the pistol the small grip felt best, firing the pistol I liked the large best. The three dot sights align quickly and the pistol seems to rest itself on target quickly. The only issue I had is the white dot came out of the front sight. My guess is it's just paint and should be an easy fix.

Long story:

I was shooting groups about 4" low at 10 yrds so I thought it might be something I'm doing because I'm somewhat new to semi-auto pistols. I handed it to a friend that is shooting a Glock .40 (22) and he also shot about 3-4" low. Both of us were shooting dead-on with his Glock. I continued firing trying different things to see if I could figure out what was wrong with my grip/trigger pull or if it really was the gun. I ran out of ammo and concluded something was amiss with the pistol.

I start talking to a guy in the next lane and explaining the 4" low issue and he asks to take a look a look at it. He handles with it a bit and asks if he can shoot it. He shoots dead-on and tells me that I'm dipping it down when I squeeze the trigger. He says "The factory trigger is crunchy at the end and that can cause you to shoot low". He then says "I'm an armorer on competition pistols and just started selling drop-in sears for M&P's do you want to try one?" My answer "Are you Scott?"...Yep! I had sent him an email earlier that week about his sears. He was out the ones he had for sale.

To make a long story finally end, he had a sear with him and he swapped it into my pistol. It changes everything about the trigger pull in a good way but I've only dry-fired 'cause I was out of ammo. Seems to be more distinct stages like a rifle trigger with a lot of pre-travel. Gotta go back next week to try out the new sear.

To Be Continued.....

The M&P .40 would have been one of my first picks for an autoloader if the gun shop I frequent had them in stock when I was looking for a CC firearm. Maybe when my finances rebound I will consider the purchase of one again even though I'm a wheelgun man at heart...

For what it's worth, the Washington State Patrol (WSP) recently switched to this exact model, apparently due to problems with parts availability from Heckler & Koch. I figure WSP knows their stuff; our agency works fairly closely with them so that may color my viewpoint...