Practically Shooting

Demilitarized

Pablo

With the big Cabelas "recall" (kinda sorta recall) going on, I have a question.

If a weapon can be full auto, then the "full auto feature is removed" (just using expedient wording here) would that be called demilitarized or does demilitarized in the USA only mean destroyed so it can't be fired at all?

I didn't know anything about the recall before now, so I'd expect what I'm about to say means nothing there. But I have a fair understanding of what they mean when they use the word "demilitarize" pertaining to Class 3 stuff.

In the Class 3 world, Demilitarize/Demill has a pretty specific meaning. I'm not sure if it's in the ATFE definitions, because in the world of "MG-Speak" it often meant different things for different guns. For example, a Demilled mortar had to have (among other things) a hole in the side of the tube, near the base, of a certain diameter. A simple gun like a Sten had to have a torch cut of so big a size across the receiver. Others had bolts welded, or firing pins ground off, or barrels plugged, plus more, and combinations thereof. They got fairly specific about what was done, and it was based on and varied with the gun.

Even that could have changed in C3 for all I know. My last Class 3 purchase was ten years ago.

But being the same entity, if they use the term "demilitarize" with the SKSs, I imagine there is a pretty exact process they want done and a specific way of doing it.

I guess there has been a rash of problems from SKSs "militarizing" themselves somewhere? Don't get me started.

I don't really know jack about the SKS, but some guys say they shoot OK. I was just asking if they were fully auto when new, the got gutted to be sold in the USA. I think they were semiauto to start with.

In this specific case, Cabela's sold the SKS's with a 1/4" hole in the chamber in just some of the rifles. Sad enough Cabela's didn't catch it, but dang people just chambered a cartridge and BLAMMO.

http://www.seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=72488

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1287723_Cabelas_possibly_sold_demilled_SKS_s.html

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=98975.msg1195426#msg1195426

Ah, I see.

I didn't know about that. I wonder how many SKSs were imported frm the 90s until now? I've heard the number before but don't remember now. I know it was huge. They could have had several demilled ones among that number and it would still be a tiny percentage. Not saying that makes it OK, just saying I'm not surprised something screwy came in unnoticed.

I'm liking the theory that this rifle had Demill started but never finished. That would explain how it was done that way. But it was definitely only partially done, at least for US regs as someone pointed out. I suppose it could be OK in some country to leave it as a ticking time bomb.

I don't think SKSs were select fire. I am pretty sure the original 1940s design was not. Some country could have made some later. Maybe some were Yugos.

I do remember hearing something about replacement trigger groups or individual parts back when the gray area was larger (when it was more common to see auto parts for sale with a disclaimer saying it was OK as long as they weren't actually installed).

It's all been a while though, since the big SKS flood.

Man, it's hard to believe we're looking at 20 years since the SKS flood was going full steam.