Practically Shooting

Observations From IDPA and IPSC

BarryinIN

I know some think they are silly games that breed bad habits (I think they are what you make them) but hardly a match goes by where I don't learn something or see something that makes a good lesson for daily carry. Sometimes it's something new, and other times it's the same things over and over.

I thought I'd start a thread on that. I'll post little lessons I see pop up. Feel free to add any observations you might have made.

Last week, the common thread seemed to be gun malfunctions. Before anyone starts thinking that won't be a problem for them because their gun never fails, I have news for you: They all fail. If I had a box of ammo for every time a gun choked and the shooter said that had never happened before, I' wouldnt need to reload for a while.

I don't know what it is, but guns must know when to fail. I think they get a kick out of making their owners squirm. Every match has a gun or guns having problems they never had before. Training classes are worse. Not only do classes bring out things happen that never happen before, they seem to bring out odd malfunctions that shouldn't happen.

I have some theories why, but that's not important. What's important is that guns fail and you don't get to pick the time.

As demonstrated last weekend, when guns fail, many people don't know what to do. The standard reaction is to freeze and stare at the gun. I always get nervous when that happens because some people panic and start flailing at this point. Trigger finger and muzzle discipline start to disappear. Some just do nothing. One last weekend actually said "I dont know what to do" and looked around for help.

Help won't be there in a gunfight.

The time to learn what to do is now, not when it fails. I can almost guarantee that if a gun is going to choke, it will do it when you don't have help around.

There is more to operating a gun that putting ammunition in it and locating the trigger. Learn the malfunction clearances for your gun. I started to post some standard clearances, but thought better of it because universal steps might not work for you. Find out what does work. If you practice them once you are ahead of the average shooter, but keep doing it anyway. Dummy rounds help for this (and for marksmanship) if a few are slipped into your practice ammo.

Also-

I'm bad about this one myself sometimes and did it last weekend.

Usually, although there is cover is available, people stand in the open when a malfunction happens, even those who know how to clear them. Get to cover. Even if it's only concealment that won't stop a bullet, it might help. People are funny about not shooting what they can't see, even if they know it's there. But that's another observation for another time.

Guns fail. All of them. That's all there is to it.

Learn to correct it.

Personally, my belief is that a second gun is the best malfunction clearance, but that's another thing too.

Carbine match this weekend. It should provide something.