Practically Shooting

Just got back from Prairie Dog shooting in SD

wwillson

We stayed at Antler Ridge Lodge, which is primarily a pheasant and deer hunting outfit. They said there were plenty of prairie dogs and that they would talk to the landowners to get permission for us. We arrived and were greeted by the owners and shown our lodge where we would be staying. I think the lodge just might be the nicest hunting lodge on the planet. It was almost new, super clean, and suitable to raise a family in... Our lodge has a full kitchen, satellite TV, a pool table, and private bathroom.

The prairie dog hunting was not the best as the dogs acted like they had never heard a gunshot. As soon as we started shooting the dogs were all below ground within a few minutes. Normally they will come back up after five or ten calm minutes, but not these PD's. We would wait for at least thirty minutes and maybe see one or two. I believe the problem was that they really hadn't been shot at much if any and that they weren't hungry. The fields in the spring are green and lush, which means that there was plenty for them to graze on. I'd bet in the fall when the grass is brown and dried up after baking in the sun that they would be much more willing to come back out of their holes. Hunger makes PD's stupid... We might have had better shooting in the fall.

My cousin and I both grew up in farm country in Iowa, where pheasants were plentiful. I can honestly say that I have never seen so many pheasants in my life as what we saw around the Antler Ridge Lodge area. If you are looking for a place to hunt pheasants, then Antler Ridge is your place!

We decided to go back to my hometown a day early so we'd have a full day to bang gong targets. We set up 200, 300, 350, and 400 yard gongs. I think between three shooters, we expended about 1000 rounds of 223 Rem banging the gongs! We took a couple hours of video, which I'll post as soon as I get it edited.

Wayne

Welcome back!

It sounds like the scaredy-cat prairie dogs appeared at such long intervals they could have been hunted with a muzzleloader.

Yeah, but when you get one running it's game on!

Originally Posted By: BarryinIN
How many prairie dogs does it take to make a pie?
How many rats does it take? About the same difference.. :-)

Wayne