Practically Shooting

Tried 2 rapid fires in succession - disaster

brueggma

Hello,

I got in some range time yesterday, and I happily trying new things (I'm a newbie). Different stances, one handed, different eyes open, etc.. Once I got comfortable, I tried to shoot two rapid shots in succession. WOW that was a mistake.

The first shot was on the paper towards the center, the 2nd shoot hit paper clamp/clip. The whole string trolly started to sway violently for a good 60 seconds. That was pretty embarrassing waiting for it to calm down. I was pretty ashamed that I even tried it. I'm not going to try that again for a while..

firearm: G17 - 9mm handgun

Ammo: WWB - 115 Grain FMJ

Here is something that I've been taught, although the idea takes some getting used to after being told otherwise by almost every person or source for as long as I can recall. It helps with regular slow paced or rapid fire even when you aren't shooting rapid fire.

When you fire a shot, immediately reset the trigger and prep for a second shot. Also take a second aight picture. Act as if you will fire a second shot every time.

This might sound like it goes against everything we ate taught about trigger control. I thought it did at first. It sounded like the entire follow- through process was altered. What you are actually doing is the same thing you always did, but in a shorter time span.

It actually helps with shooting single rounds because it gets your dinger doing the same thing every time regardless of the pace you are shooting, and it keeps the shooter from holding rearward tension on the trigger and grip which pulls shots low.

It also helps you practice rapid fire without actually doing it. The motions are the same, except whether or not you complete the trigger press on the shot(s) after the first one.

Instructors will ask: "How many trigger preps for each shot?". And "how many sight pictures for each shot?". The answer to both is two. Every time.

What Barry said.

Rapid fire accuracy does not come instantly. You need to work your way up to it. Single shots then 10 seconds, 5 seconds, 4 seconds.....practice it, don't just rush up to machine gun fire.

Plus it seems to me maybe a grip issue and arm and finger strength. Learn a "good" grip that works for you. Plus do extended arm weight training and get a Prohands "Grip Master. You will be surprised after a couple weeks of training, your single shots will improve, and the more rapid fire shots will follow.

I learned I can be very accurate with a 22/45 rapid fire - as fast as I can pull the trigger and still be pretty close on target. Jumping up to the 1911 for me is just a matter of grip and arm strength and target acquisition.