Practically Shooting

Savage model 12FV

wwillson

My desire for an accurized Ruger Mini-14 have subsided because of cost, but my need for a backup rifle hasn't.

I've read several reviews on the Savage model 12 varmint rifles and have learned that they have pretty decent triggers and most seem to be able to shoot less or equal to 1 MOA with the right ammunition.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Savage 12 series?

Thanks,

Wayne

I have a 12BVSS in 22-250,it is the most accurate of all my Savages and that is saying something because I haven't owned a Savage in the last 10 years that didn't shoot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups @100 yards, or better, out of the box, with my handloads.

The AccuTtigger is better than just pretty decent, I actually prefer it to the Timney's I have in some of my Remingtons.

I picked up the Savage catalog at our local BassPro and have spent considerable time absorbing as much as I can about the model 12 line of rifles from the catalog and from articles on the internet. I've become particularly interested in the 12 LRPV Dual Port. It is a single shot that loads through the left port and ejects through the right port. This ported feature makes the action stiffer, which should increase accuracy. It would also be nice not to eject the spend cases back into your ammo can of loaded cartridges (same side load and eject).

I pulled the accutrigger a few times while looking over the savage rifles. I do think it would take a while to get used to the pull of the 'first stage', but the 'second stage' is WOW good. The second stage pull can be field adjusted, which is a nice feature. The trigger break is just awesome. The thought that came to my mind when I pulled the accutrigger the first time was, "Glock Safe Action Trigger". I'm not sure if that's good or bad...

Wayne

I didn't realize Savage was making a right bolt/left port single shot action. The port location doesn't make the action stiffer; the lack of a magazine cutout in the bottom does. The port location would be a pain with a repeater away from the bench, but makes things easier when shooting at the bench. Run the bolt with the right hand, and pluck the empty out with the left hand. When loading, you drop a new round in the port with the left hand and close the bolt with the right. No reaching over, and you can leave your hand on the bolt.

I checked my records today and my 12BVSS will shoot 5 shot groups @100 yards that measure .314. My "worst" group from one of my Savages came from an entry level Pre-AccuTrigger model 110 in .223 and it measured .622, again that was a 5 shot group, and I could likely tighten those groups up a little by getting serious about working up more handloads for them.