Practically Shooting

Gun Bucket List

BarryinIN

Got the word this morning that Steyr has a confirmed shipment of new AUGs on it's way to my distributor guy. They should be in his hands Monday.

Money and FFL sent.

The first 800 will be an unusual combination since they will be made from leftover Sabre Defence receivers and the new FN barrels. Perhaps some collector interest someday if left unfired.

Laugh. Scoff.

I plan on trying to melt it down with 5.56.

About those mags...

They come from Steyr with one 30-rd magazine, but this distributor has two deals.

1) The way they come from Steyr, with one 30-rd mag and manual.

2) For $50 more, a package deal with two 30-rd mags, the manual, a Steyr soft case, cleaning kit, sling, and muzzle cap.

The case is $49.95 from Steyr, so who would not go for the package?

If you buy a rifle from him, he will give you a deal on mags. His normal price is $30 for 30-rd mags, or $32 for 42-rd. He cut that to $27 and $28 with rifle purchase.

I ended up buying a bunch more parts and stuff*. He gave me another small cut on mags.

So I bought a few while the opportunity was there.

This was where I couldn't decide what to do. Should I buy 30-rounders or 42-rounders? From talking to people, there were two opinions.

One said that the 42 rd mags work, so why buy anything else? Makes sense.

Others said the 42s are awkward in prone, or can get in the way just by catching on you in the low ready position. Makes sense too.

I got half and half. I know I'm going to settle on one or the other after using it a while, then wish I had bought more of those and less of the others, but like I said, I had to buy when I had the chance.

*Whenever I buy something unusual, I always say I need to buy a bunch of spare parts or magazines while I have the chance and/or simply because I'm still excited over it. If I put it off, I'll never do it. Then I almost always do that- Put it off, saying I'll buy a part or two every now and then, which I never do.

This guy I bought from is supposed to be The AUG Man in the US and has been dealing in them since they were first imported. They say Steyr goes to him asking questions. I don't know about that, but I do remember seeing his name in the Class 3/MG world a long time ago. He was dealing in AUGs and AUG parts back then, and always seemed to have what nobody else could get.

So since I was at the well, and he was making me deals, I kept adding on. I have parts and mags now.

This is the guy- Pete Athens

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/index.html

Instructor Wes Doss (Khyber Associates) signed an agreement with Steyr this year. He is teaching some AUG-centered carbine classes. In a few weeks, there is a short partial-day one in KY that I'm going to. I feel extremely lucky to have timed that right. I've had some carbine classes, but the AUG is a different animal.