Practically Shooting

Stalingrad

CamuMahubah

Next Saturday I will be taking my little brother to compete in a Stalingrad Military Match at the local rifle range. From what I understand any bolt-action rifle used in WWII by the Axis or Allies is eligible. Iron sights. Shooting out to 600m. Steel targets.

The lil bro will be shooting my Yugo M24/47 7.92x57mm JS. Just like this one.

We will be allowed to sight in our rifle at the various distances before the competition which will be our first time shooting beyond 200m. Do any of you have experience with these type of matches? What about the ballistics of the 8mm Mauser? Any recommendations for ammo? I have Yugo surplus that shoots high at 100 yards. This is merely a learning experience for us and nothing more. We are not expecting to win especially since many of the competitors are seasoned veterans to this style of match. And many of them are shooting the K31 Swiss with handloads!

Kinda late to be ordering ammo with 6 days to the competition but if you know a good source I'll buy...

Looks neat. I didn't see what the targets were. You say steel, but how big?

It looks like 100 yards offhand...

Rectangle, Lollipop, and "Dia." from the bench...

Plus some bonus targets.

Depending on what the target sizes were, that could be fair to miserable.

The scores look like most people hit 50% or more, and just judging from the matches I've been at, the targets would need to be generous to get such good results across the board.

I wonder if only the bonus targets are the only ones way out there. Usually at something like this, if the targets were set incrementally farther out (like 100, 200, 400, 500, and 600) you would see a drop off at some point. Meaning that if you took ten shots at each distance, the 100 yard target would have a lot of 8-10 hits, the 200 a lot of 7-9 hits, then at 400 it would drop to about 4-5 hits and stay down. But the scores look pretty even across the columns.

That makes me think they do something like: Shoot offhand at 100, then the others are all shot at a farther distance (but all the same distance) like 200 yards except the bonus targets way out in the hills. The main difference in the 200 yarders being the shape.

If I were to shoot in it, my biggest concern would be sights. I have an awful time with open sights and would have to use a peep.

I would take a 4 MOA rifle with sights I could use pretty well before I'd take a 1 MOA rifle with sights I'd struggle with.

Looking at what was used last year, however, I am surprised that most of the higher placing rifles used plain old notch and barleycorn sights. I would think the advantage would go to the 1903A3s because the sights would be best suited. I saw some did well, yet not on top. Of course, swap rifles among shooters and it might be different.

600 or 700 yards is a loooong way. I used to shoot Highpower, and if you didn't have a super good zero at 300, you were in big trouble when going to 600.

The farthest I've shot in a match in the last couple of years is 300 yards in 3-gun, and you should hear the crying when we get to that stage.

Yah we're gonna get rolled! LOL laugh

I just want access to the 1000m range! I just ordered some M75 Sniper ammo from J&G. If it ain't here by Saturday we will be shooting Yugo surplus from the 50's...

If we can't hit any of the targets during sight-in we will just put the rifle in the car and hang out and ask questions.

Just getting my brother out of bed that early on a Saturday morning is going to be an achievement. Should I use a firehose and what psi and temp should I run the water? And what knife would be good at prying teenage hands off a Playstation controller in case he wakes up and immediately attaches to the electronic device.

One big plus...no cell phone service at the range.

Well the lil bro stood me up! He took off to another town after some girls I guess...

Ah well...

I shot the Yugo and scored a 25. I ranked 18 out of 41.

100 yard 7/10

410 yard 5/10

495 yard 7/10

660 yard 6/10

That M75 surplus was some flat shooting stuff. Wow! The Mauser really excelled at long distance! laugh

Wow, that's pretty good!

When I shot Highpower, everybody was pretty much used to shooting the standard distances (200, 300, and 600) so they had the zeroes down. But at the 3-gun matches when they started using the 300 yd range, people weren't used to it and didn't have good zeroes for it. That can play havoc, even at "only" 300.

It was a very interesting experience...as each target had a two-way radio behind so when you hit the target a resounding twang could be heard. And I had a partner that I shot with and we spotted each other using a spotting scope. We were allowed one sighting round per target that didn't count and then fired ten per target.

I really enjoyed the whole experience and I am very very happy with the performance of my $200 gun! I was using ammo designed for the Zastava in my M24/47 and lemme tell you that is some very consistent firing surplus. That has to be the best surplus I have ever fired. And at ten bucks for a box of 15 it's a deal compared to waht some guys pay for Norma 8mm.

As soon as the scores are up on the website I will put them up if y'all are interested...

I just got emailed the results of the match! Guess what? Out of the ten Mausers in the match I was #4! grin

I'm kinda proud of myself but I'm not bragging! cool

Wow just wow! And to think I almost sold that rifle because I couldn't hit anything at 100 yards with it! At 300 plus meters that gun really shoots!

Anybody have any experience with drifting the front sights on a K98 style? confused

I just got emailed the results of the match! Guess what? Out of the ten Mausers in the match I was #4! grin

I'm kinda proud of myself but I'm not bragging! cool

Wow just wow! And to think I almost sold that rifle because I couldn't hit anything at 100 yards with it! At 300 plus meters that gun really shoots!

Anybody have any experience with drifting the front sights on a K98 style? confused

You SHOULD brag, that IS AWESOME. Next time, you'll even be better!! Man that is very cool. People on the west coast sometimes don't know now much better stuff there is to do in the heart of our country. I swear some people around here.....well there is nothing like that here.

I am now working with these guys:

http://www.monroemonitor.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=27&ArticleID=1327

No need to comment on this in your awesome thread, I'll do a new thread on this as we move forward.

Carry ON - you are the man. Can't wait until we can shoot together.

Paul

Congratulations, you did do well.

On the front sight drifting, aside from the obvious hammer and brass punch method, some have made sight drifting tools by buying a hardware store nut buster and re-grinding the V-shaped "buster" into a punch shape. The ring of the nut buster fits around the sight base, and the newly ground punch gets cranked tight against the sight dovetail. You then put a wrench on the tool and turn the appropriate amount. By counting the tool's threads per inch and dividing that into 1, you can figure out how far the sight will move with a turn, or half turn, quarter turn, etc.

One of the AK/SKS tools might be adaptable, but I don't know.

Thanks guys! And Pablo if you ever wanna shoot in a milsurp match we got you covered out here in the Sandhills!

Guys if you knew how nervous I was facing these guys who shoot scoped 03's and K31 Swiss you would really know how good it felt to beat some of them with my Yugo. Especially since a lot of those guys have been shooting milsurp competitions for years. This event was the first time I ever shot past 200 yards on purpose!

Apparently I have a really accurate milsurp rifle and just didn't know it, that and really flat shooting ammo! I found out later while researching the ammo I shot that it has the best ballistic coefficient of any 7.92mm JS ever produced.

I guess I better order some more of that stuff! Every other surplus ammo I have ever shot has been woefully inconsistent and I use the term "woefully inconsistent" loosely as some of wasn't even that good... cool

The rear sights on the mauser are notched out to something like 1000m, it was almost like cheating...I do need to drift the front sight a bit to the left but I'll wait till a nice Summer day when there is hardly a breeze...it was gusting up to 20 mph the day of the match so I'll wait for the doldrums before I go messing with anything...