Practically Shooting

Got a S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty

G-MAN

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for quite some time. This was the precursor to the 357 Magnum. It was introduced in 1930 and is a 38 Special on a 44 Special frame (what would later be called the N-Frame). It was called the 38/44 Heavy Duty and was designed to shoot a high velocity 38 Special (around 1200 fps) that was too hot to be fired in the smaller S&W Military & Police 38.

The serial number indicates this gun was made in 1932 or 33. It's got the original high polish blue finish in about 95% condition. The case color on the hammer and trigger is nearly 100%. Zero endshake and flawless action. No evidence the side plate has ever been removed, and every indication that the gun has been fired very little. Some minor freckling from being stored dry for many years. The grips are not original and are the wrong type. I've already sold them to someone on the S&W forum and ordered some period correct stag grips. I'll post more pics when I get those installed.