Practically Shooting

Trivia: Patton's "Registered Magnum"

G-MAN

Getting the Ruger LCR has rekindled my interest in revolvers, hence me digging out my Model 19 and taking my dad's old Dan Wesson to the range yesterday. It also rekindled my desire for an N-Frame 357 so I've been watching GunBroker for a Model 27 or Model 28 and I negotiated a deal for a Model 28 yesterday and pulled the trigger on a 28-2 with a 6" barrel.

S&W didn't assign model numbers to their guns until the late 50s, so the first 357s were simply called the ".357 S&W Magnum." When it was introduced in 1935 the 357 was a custom made to order gun with extensive hand assembly and fitting. Each one was shipped with a registration certificate and number in addition to the serial number. Hence, they are known today as "Registered Magnums." S&W stopped making the registered guns just before WWII and shifted the 357 to regular production.

One of the first 357 customers was Gen. George Patton. (The very first Registered Magnum was presented to J. Edgar Hoover by S&W.) Below is a copy of Patton's order for his 357.

In this photo one revolver is Patton's real Registered Magnum. The other was built for the movie "Patton" staring George C. Scott and was used in the movie. Which is the real one?

I think it is the top one, going by the grips and the fact that the front sight is set back slightly.

Yes, it's the top one. The front sight is the best giveaway. When Patton had the ivory grips made in 1940, he wanted his initials centered so the screw hole was offset. That's another discrepancy with the movie gun. However, I will say that the gunsmith who built the movie prop did a pretty good job otherwise.