Practically Shooting

525 22LR packs selling for $75 on gunbroker

wwillson

That's the highest I've heard yet for a selling price. The highest asking price I've heard was a guy wanting $125 for a bulk pack. I don't know if he got it.

I could probably sweep up several dollars' worth.

At $90/525, that's a little over $17/100. There was Eley match .22 ammo at the local shop, and I think the lower grades were quite a bit less than that, but maybe not.

I saw CCI Mini-Mag 100-rd boxes for $9 and change at WalMart last week.

Last time, at least you could get ammo in calibers other than the top five or ten. Now, even some of the offbeat stuff is hit hard.

I'm convinced a lot of the reason for current shortages is ammo makers never really got caught up from 2008/2009. Panic buying and hoarding is the main thing, but its compounded by having a low supply to start with. They've concentrated on just meeting demand on the more popular stuff, so once it got hit harder than normal they were in a hole.

Before, they had years to get ahead and then could make the stuff they only make once every year or two, like .264 Win Mag, .30-40 Krag, etc. Once they lost that gap in 08/09, they never got it back. I don't think .348 Win is scarce because of hoarding, but from not making any in the past five years.

I have seen some odd things in stock lately. The .22 Eley ammo I was talking about, for less than panic prices in bulk stuff. For a couple of years, 5.45x39 was scarce, but I was in a shop last week that had at least 5,000 rounds and it was one if the few calibers they had. WalMarts around here have boxes of hunting ammo in .308, 30-06, 7mm Mag, and .270 for less than I've seen WWB .308. I see 12 ga wiped out, but plenty of 20 ga.

What's really scary is to think about how fast it happened, and how small a percentage of shooters did it. I know lots of people like me who haven't bought a round and don't plan to any time soon. What if we did?

Imagine if we knew all ammo production would end in 30 days.

Now, what if there was a panic like this on some type of food, like produce? Not just tomatoes, but all produce? 100 times the people buying something truly perishable and slower to replace?

Shudder.

If I weren't such a hoarder, I'd consider selling some of my .22lr; got a great deal on the 525 packs at $16 at Rural King last summer. I could make some $$$ if these prices are actaully what's being paid, or at least near those prices.

But then I'd be low (it's a relative term) on my "stash" ...

I have a low light pistol/carbine class coming up. The original course description called for using .22 ARs or conversion kits if we had them, so we could shoot the pistol steel on transition drills without having to goof around changing targets or shifting range bays.

Today I get an email from them amending that to include pistol caliber carbines like 9mm ARs if we had them.

Then there was a semi-joke that it might be cheaper to use a 9mm AR.

I know it was half in jest, but after I thought about it, they might right, at least for some people. If I had a 9mm AR and handloaded ammo, but was low on .22 ammo and had to buy some before the class, I am sure I could shoot the 9mm cheaper.

Interesting times.

In WalMart this morning, I saw the only metallic cartridge they had ammo for was .30-06. Not even .22 Mag, .17 rimfires, and Russian stuff like they had up until recently. Shotgun shells- mostly 20 ga- but nothing aside from .30-06 otherwise.

They had maybe 20 boxes of Rem 150 grain, and around ten each of Rem and Win 180 grain.

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that the only thing that wasn't wiped out was "America's Cartridge"?

It finally dawned on me later: It's proof this isn't America anymore.