Practically Shooting

Anschutz .17HMR 1517 MPR SS range repport

Moe

Last weekend when I went and tested my posted handguns, I also bench tested my new Annie. WOW, what a keeper. First 5 shot group at 50yds was .440, and got better from there. The best was .380.

At 100yds, things got a little blurry because of the scope I mounted. I was using a Simmons 6.5-20 Whitetail Classic that just wouldn't focus for me at 100yds. The duplex reticle was way to thick for serious bench shooting. The best I could do at a 100yds was .800.

The ammo was the Hornady 17gr.stuff. I will be testing some other ammo in the near future.

The new scope I bought was a Bushnell Elite 3200 5x15. I will gladly give up some magnification for clarity anyday. The good thing is that if I am not totally happy with it, I can send it back to Bushnell within 1 year for a complete refund minus the sales tax.

This rifle was pretty amazing right out of the box. With a little fine tuning of both the rifle and my bench techniques, I expect great things out of this Annie ! Goodbye squirrels.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it out today with the new glass. WOW. After playing at 50yds with a couple of sub .2 groups, I went to the 100yd line. After adjusting the scope for a 100yds., the very first 5 shot group was .202. This is my first Anschutz but probably not my last.

Ammo was Federal 17gr poly tip. Can't wait for a little better weather and a little less wind.