Practically Shooting

Be Careful at the Range

BarryinIN

I know the murder of Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield was a freak thing, but someone reminded me to be careful at the range and he was right.

It's never a bad time to think about this.

It's all but certain that Platt and Mattix of the Miami FBI shootout got some of their guns by knocking off people who were shooting alone at informal swamp or gravel pit "ranges". Maybe three years ago, a WV minister walked down to check his targets and was shot and killed by a slimeball. The killer picked up the minister's pistol that was left open and empty on the bench, loaded it, shot him, and took his guns. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

The recent increase in value of many guns might make it worse. This morning, I read what was at least the third recent report of a gun being stolen right off the bench when the owner was down range. As far as I know, nobody has been shot in these recent cases. They just snatch the gun and go. Perhaps for someone that bold, murder may not be a very long leap.

So watch it.

I shoot on private land and at a club range. I've seen evidence of someone messing around at my range at home. It could be kids playing around or someone else. People shoot on their property all around here, but there is one guy who doesn't like it. Will he show up and get in someone's face- or worse- one day and things go bad? I doubt it seriously, but I don't know that.

My gun club is fenced, has a lake on two sides, and two caretakers who live on site, but I've seen where people have jumped the fence before. It's probably to get to the lake, but if someone will do that, someone else might do it to get a rifle that is now selling for several times what it sold for a year ago.

By nature, ranges are often secluded and surrounded by trees or other visibility limiters. Most are laid out so that you are shooting away from the driveway, so can't see any cars arriving when you are shooting. Nobody local is going to come running when shots are heard, either.

The usual suggestion is to never go alone, and that is good advice for several reasons. I don't know about others, but if I waited until I had someone to go with me, my range trips would be cut drastically.

I find that I'm less wary when I'm with someone. I'm more apt to get distracted yakking, and am simply more relaxed about watching out ("He's watching over there on his end of the line...I guess"). This is not to say it's wrong to go as a pair or group, but it may be easier to get complacent because there are two of you. Be careful.

Electronic hearing protection is wonderful. I always wear my electronic ear protection at these places. It goes on my ears, switched on, when I arrive and doesn't come off until I leave. I leave them on even when I'm done shooting and have 45 minutes of brass and target stand picking up to do. Many times I've heard people arrive that I might not have known were around otherwise.

I always keep my cellphone in reach. If I'm not actually shooting, like when going down range to check targets, I keep the phone in my hand. Maybe I can get 911 dialed and maybe not, but I might have a better chance.

I always have at least one gun on me that I'm not shooting. I won't be caught with an empty gun and empty magazines. I may be at the 100-yard targets with a pistol when someone starts shooting at me with my own rifle, but at least I'll have something.

I usually use a big target stand with lots of targets on it. I started doing that to save walking down to change targets as much, but it also saves walking away from the guns too. I can usually get through the day without changing targets. Put them up at first, take them down when done, and never leave the firing line in between.

Getting there early lets me do this on my terms instead of getting there after others are shooting and having to wait for a break.

At the rifle range, I go downrange and set the targets up, then get the rifles out. Part of that is from how I load things in the SUV, but it does keep me from leaving guns out for anyone and everyone while I'm down range. I do usually leave them out as long as possible before casing them so the barrels will cool more, but I may change that.

I may start taking key gun parts with me when I do have to change targets. Pretend to wipe crud off a bolt as I walk, for example.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I've heard of at least two ARs and a SCAR "walking away" while their owners were downrange, in the last month or so. This on top of knowing about the rare, but very real, range robberies/shootings.

Most of these things I started doing for some other reason besides security, but they work for that too.

I know most of the regulars at my club, at least by sight, but I still see new faces sometimes. I don't know if they are a long time member who never shoots when I do or some guy who jumped the fence.

I don't want to find out the hard way.

Just be careful. If you are concentrating on the front sight, you can't know everything going on around you. Look around now and then. Keep a close watch on your guns. Don't make it easy for someone.

Our club range seems secure, but someone could enter over or under a fence and sneak through the woods.

I always worry indoors in the winter at my public place. The guys that work there are always on the look out and there is video - never heard of any theft but it could happen. They would have a LIST of suspects pretty quickly....then it would get interesting.

Yes to electronic muffs.