Practically Shooting

Shutting down target shooting in parts of Utah

Rant mode on....

As what has been on the news lately we have been in a drought.

Drought increases the chance of wild fires which we have had quite a few this season.. (over 500)

So a few of them have been started by "target" shooters which is interesting since I've shot hundreds of thousands of rounds and never started a fire. But we had one big fire that was started by idiots who were shooting exploding targets (which are illegal in most countries in Utah already)

So since SIXTEEN of the FIVE HUNDRED fires were started by target shooters (their numbers) the state fire "cheif" has made it illegal to shoot anywhere but at a paid range (which I'm sure someone in his family owns a few)

Of course all the Sheriff are out like ants now writing up everyone they can when normally you'd see maybe one every 6-10 trips out on BLM land. Why were they not out in "force" when the restriction was not in place policing the guys shooting the illegal exploding targets?

No I have not been ticketed as I've been a good boy staying out of the areas that I normally shoot. I don't do ranges so I drive out about 15 miles now and shoot just like I have before.

But I am ticked that they go overboard and nail everyone over 16 of 500 fires. (if that much)

Bill

PS: When does the "temporary" ban expire? Oct 31st 2012... mad

PPS: And YES I am writing everyone one I can on this from the Governor to local PD. Also stating if they had dirt back stops made (give me a afternoon with a back hoe and I'll make it safer) that would prevent anything from possibly happening.

Rant mode off... grin

I figured there was some sort of nudge going on there. Like lead laws that can and will be used against us. I thought this wildfire thing would brew a while before kicking into gear, though. Wait and let the idea settle into people's minds that shooting causes fires... which turns into most fires... then becomes the leading cause of fires...then every fire "must've been somebody shooting".

I didn't think about using it to steer business to paid ranges. I should have.

Ignorance is on their side. Tell people shooting starts fires and most will believe it. It would surprise me if shooting started ANY of those fires. I know of people who have tried to start a fire by shooting as a survival exercise and couldn't get it done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...