Practically Shooting

Range report --- S&W 442

Moe

Well, I can only report that I was able to fire 4 rounds through my new 442 before it quit firing. It would not fire the 5th shot!!!

Upon further inspection, the firing pin bushing was pushed back so far that it would not allow the firing pin with enough protrusion to ignite the primer. It went back so far that it didn't even dent the primer on subsequent trigger pulls. I have NEVER seen this happen before. I am really glad I decided to test it before depending on it!

The ammo was Federal 158gr LSWCHP+P. This is new manufactured stuff that I just bought 2 weeks ago. I am not blaming the ammo in any way. I bought this stuff to get a feel for the gun before I started using the carry ammo I bought which is $1 a round.

It's going back to S&W tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Smith should have put the old serial number on the new frame .I have a friend who had a Kel tec that needed work and Keltec called him up and said the gun is screwed up and we are going to give you a new gun with the serial # of the old gun and a few days later received a new gun from Keltec.

Steve,

That's what I thought. I have 2 guesses on why Smith didn't do it.

1. The time involved probably exceeded the shipping and the waiting period and or demand.

2. Maybe some kind of data base of recovered fired bullets prevent re-issue of another gun with the old serial number.

My new 442 came in yesterday. There was a letter in the box about destroying the old gun. They shipped the new 442 in the old box with the old serial number. I would of thought they would of at least changed the label on the box with the new number. Oh well.

In 10 days, I will give a try again.

I hope you have good luck with the new one .I have a 442 I bought this year just because "I like J frames and you never can have too many " But my 442 is really awesome, I tried the triggers on the 3 that were in the show case and the one I picked has a really nice trigger and it shoots like every gun I have, better than I do.

• 4 months later...

Well humbly I must post I had to have the 442 sent back to Smith "warranty repair" because the crane was loose and the cylinder seemed like it wobbled more than the new ones at the gun shop. The good news was the turn around time was only two weeks. Could it be Smith sends the problem ones to Calif?