Practically Shooting

Carrying more than one concealed weapon - legal?

Win

In the "your ccw setup" (or similar) thread, there is this comment:

"I carry three so I can access one."

And, after thinking about this, I question whether carrying more than one concealed handgun is legal in my state.

A quick (very quick) glance at the act reveals that the singular "handgun" is used. Example:

§5-73-315. Possession of license — Identification of licensee.

(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun. ....

And my license also says handgun, not handguns. It is titled "Concealed Handgun Carry License"

I am authorized to carry "Any legal handgun".

I didn't look at the case law to see if the point has been decided one way or the other.

Do you other guys have licenses that explicitly authorize the carry of more than one concealed weapon?

Some states do limit how many one can carry.

Some make you list the specific gun(s) serial number you will carry.

Mine does not stipulate either one.

I read "License to Carry Handgun" as defining the type of gun rather than the quantity of them.

An attorney may offer another opinion and I would expect them to. I would expect them to err on the side of caution. Usually great caution. None of right mind will say "Sure, go ahead, I said it's OK" about much of anything ahead of time.

But Indiana code IC 35-47-11 does not limit the number of firearms one can carry.

In fact, there are plenty of mention of lawful carry of firearms (plural). Maybe that makes it a requirement!

Not sure WA limited to one....on the license itself:

Quote:
The person described hereon is licensed to carry concealed pistols as described by law.....
I don't see why you should be limited but it doesn't say on our WA permit specifically that your are limited to one. But it does say pistols...