Practically Shooting

Fixing and caring for brushed stainless steel

Pablo

I love the look and feel of the brushed stainless steel on my Colt 1911, but I had no idea how easy to mar it would be. I already have a couple mars on the brushed areas. Just the lightest contact with any metal that is remotely hard leaves a mark. Now pay careful attention: These are not scratches, the metal surface is not dug into - more of a wipe or a mar.

I tried a white rubber eraser, helped a bit, but didn't really work. I'm looking for methods.....

Any ideas?

I know what you mean. It's as if it was written on with a stainless steel Sharpie marker.

It's so eye-catching because Colt polishes their slide flats and that's a big flat billboard that shows it so well. A less polished slide like an SA, or polished but rounded surface like a revolver barrel won't show it as much.

I don't know what to tell you because I like character wear and my suggestion would be to carry it all day every day until it was evenly covered with it!