Practically Shooting

Ruger 77 Mk II 30-06

G-MAN

I put a last minute bid in on this Ruger 77 Mk II today and won it for $330. Serial number puts production in the early 90s.

I always enjoyed shooting my cousin's 77 in 220 Swift, but his was a pre-MK II model. I like the the improvements that Ruger made with the MK II, even though the trigger is supposedly not as good.

Not too up on Ruger. Is that before or after CRF?

Bob

After. When Bill Ruger first introduced the Model 77 his stated goal was to build a classic American bolt action rifle that had all the features that shooters loved about the pre-64 Winchester Model 70. He was about 2/3 there with the first iteration of the 77. When the Mk II was introduced in the early 90s, they got about 9/10 there. Ruger redesigned the safety so that it pretty much mimics the pre-64 three position safety. And for the first time the action was truly controlled feed. Where they fell short was in the trigger. And if the trigger on the one I'm getting is too bad I'll just order a Timney for it.

Very nice rifle. I never shouldered a rifle in my life that shouldered as naturally as the M77.

That's what I loved about my cousin's M77 in 220 Swift. His was the heavy barrel varmint model, but it was a real pleasure to shoot. And nothing sounds quite like the blast of a 220 Swift. If I were still into reloading, I swear I think I'd have to get one.