Practically Shooting

Ordered a Remington 799 in 7.62x39 today...

G-MAN

The Remington 798 and 799 bolt action rifles have intrigued me ever since I first read about them. The 798 is pure Mauser 98 and was available in calibers from 243 to 458. The 799 "Mini Mauser" is a modified 98 action and was available in 22 Hornet up to 7.62x39. These rifles were made by Zastava in Serbia.

The primary difference between the 798 and 799 is in the bolt: the 799 has a recessed bolt face and a Weatherby type extractor rather than the full-length, non-rotating claw extractor of a typical Mauser 98 action. On the 799 bolt, a full-length stabilizing rib takes the place of the full-length extractor. Thus, what you have with the 799 is basically a push feed Mauser action.

These same basic guns had been imported by Interarms at one time as the Mark X, and then later by Charles Daly. Remington, rather than importing finished rifles from Zastava, only imported the barreled actions. The stocks were fitted and final finishing done at the Remington plant in Kentucky.

Here is a pic of a 799 in 7.62x39 I found on the 'Net. I'll post photos of mine and a review when it gets here.