Practically Shooting

Remington 870 vs 887?

ADFD1

Hello and thanks for allowing me to join this forum.

For simplicity I'd like to keep the discussion between these 2 shotguns in 12 guage. Remington 870 Express, and the New Remington 887, which would you pick and why? From what I've heard the 870 Express is a cheaper version of the 870 Wingmaster,and the chamber on the Express needs to be polished to extact the cheaper ammo, which is what I'd be using. 887 Seems a little more beefy? TIA

AD

ADFD,

Welcome!

I own both the 870 Wingmaster and the 870 Express. They share many (most) parts in common. The finish on the barrels/receivers are one major difference. The Wingmaster line is blued for a more premium look, while the Express line has a non-reflective black matte finish. The matte finish doesn't look as nice, but it's much more durable. I reload my own trap loads and my hulls are about the dirtiest you've ever seen. There just isn't a problem with ejecting these hulls from either shotgun, so I wouldn't consider ease of ejection as part of your purchasing criteria.

Wayne

Thanks! Is there anywhere online you can point me to that will layout the basic shooting technique for trap. I've been going when I have free time and am hooked. I shoot a Mossberg, but like the Remingtons better. I checked out the Benelli Nova, and wasn't thrilled so I narrowed it down to the 2 Remingtons.

AD

Thanks the post is a starting point. I want to shoot with 2 eyes open, but do better closing one eye once I've spotted the bird.

I've reloaded with my father, but never for a shotgun. He shot 1000 yard F-Class and loaded .308, 6.5x284 for that. He also loaded 30-338 Lapua, 22.250, 6.5WSM, 7WSM, and a few others. Its been a while for me though.

AD

An 870's an 870, regardless of which version. They'll all slick up after a few thousand rounds!

Sounds like the 887 is basically an 870 with a plastic coating. What's Rem warranty on plastic peeling, cracking,discoloring, etc.? Will 870 aftermarket stuff fit it? How much more expensive? Enough to have the 870 refinished (or dipped http://www.camo-solutions.com/camo_patterns.htm) several times? Dipping dude is a neighobor and customer,,gotta plug him occasionally!

Bob