Practically Shooting

22's Back!

Arkie_Lefty

As I mentioned in an earler post, my nephew is well on the way to being a world-class pistolsmith, specializing in custom 1911's. Sometimes, as a favorite uncle he can be persuaded into other projects. The last one is the overhaul of an old Ruger 10/22. Built in the 60's, it looked like it might have spent some time stuck in the dirt doing duty as a fencepost!

a friend donated a new O. E. Ruger stainless barrel (yes years ago they actually had real stainless, instead of silver paint on steel), Joe bead-blasted the aluminum receiver and sprayed a clear coat to keep it from oxidizing, bead blasted the bbl., polished the trigger, as well as doing a trigger job, re-faced the bolt to square (also gets the chamber closer to minimum specs)and a dozen other things I can't remember and he didn't write down.

Have a silver finish Burris 4X originally on the Wife's Mini-30 that I'm planning to put in black rings & base. Then it's off to a local shop that does "vat dipped" camo. http://www.camo-solutions.com/camo_patterns.htm Special heat reactive plastic film (knda like Saran Wrap) is laid on top of heated water in a vat, then the part, be it a barrelled action, or part of your Mercury duck boat engine, is dipped into the vat and plastic film is applied like a skin. In my case it's gonna be the "carbon fiber" finish applied to the stock!

Right now I'm beating my brains out trying to decide whether to pillar bed before finish is applied, or hope for excellent groups as is.

Bob