Practically Shooting

Barrel length and recoil spring selection?

Pablo

• 4 weeks later...

It might depend on the design of the firearm. For example, if the barrel is shorter, the slide is probably shorter and the spring is probably shorter, too. A shorter spring (less travel) would probably have to be a little stiffer to prevent unwanted collisions.

Good question. Maybe some experts can chime in.

Are you meaning that if, for example, you take a regular 5" .45 1911 and put a 6" or 7" barrel in? Or Glock's long barrel for the G20?

I would think that when it got down to the fine details, it would make a difference, but maybe so small it wouldn't matter. In other words, overcoming the added weight would fall well within the normal wiggle room for function.

I would think the biggest set of data would come from the brief period in bowling pin shooting and IPSC when they started using Pin Guns. These had the long barrels with threaded-on weights, but no comps. It was only a year or two after they started being used in IPSC before someone milled a port into them and created a compensator. Once the port was added, things changed regarding springs because the muzzle gasses pushed the comp, which was like adding more barrel weight. Maybe the extra inch of barrel wouldn't have been enough, or the muzzle weight, I don't know, but the extra length, comp body, and comp effect were.

I know some of the Bullseye guns with the heavy BoMar and Witchita ribs have light springs to compensate for the weight, but the weight is in the slide and the loads are (usually but not always) reduced to begin with.

Are you meaning that if, for example, you take a regular 5" .45 1911 and put a 6" or 7" barrel in? Or Glock's long barrel for the G20?

Any semi-auto pistol.

But the only guns I have longer barrels for are my two Glocks.

The G20 I have a 6.2" 10mm (threaded) and a 6.2" .357Sig. And for the 17L I have longer threaded barrel - longer than already long barrel. All Lone Wolf brand. Nice barrels for the price. Better chamber fit than the sloppy Glock.

Take the G20C. It comes with a 17# spring. The gun shoots fine with all types of 10mm ammo in both barrels - yes the compensated barrel does make the tupperware feel really light. Being the guy who can't leave well enough alone I bought the extra barrels. What a joy with the .357Sig and the 10mm - the longer barrels are real velocity beasts. And accurate to boot.

So wanting to shoot hot 10mm ammo, I bought a 20# spring and a stainless guide rod......well all I get is spent cases in the face, as if the recoil spring is too stout. Why they don't make a 18 or 19# is beyond me. The 17# stock spring seems just fine with the longer barrel and standard loads even vs, the shorter ported barrel. Hmm....not scientific at all.