Practically Shooting

Guns and Politics

Shannow

Australia has a "shooters and Fisher's" party, which is there to protect the rights of gun owners, and fishermen.

The latter ?

The anti's include a strong contingent who aren't opposed to firearms per se, but hurting animals, and have made it clear that when guns are banned to all but range use, the fishers are next.

I support them with my votes, as even as a single interest group, they are actually representing part of my world, not some other control philosophy.

However, it's become obvious that they are naive when negotiating with the established creeps.

They allowed privatisation of power stations to pass, in swap for concessions in waiting time (why do you need two weeks cooling off when you already have a gun), shooting in National Parks (feral animal control, a good thing) and others.

They were rewarded with new licencing requirements that you needed the serial number of the gun you were buying before you could apply for a permit to acquire (used to get the permit, then hunt down the gun to suit). Shooting in National Parks will "take some time" to arrange, and a new ammo bill rolled in that you can only buy ammo for a gun registered to you (I can borrow old mate's 30-30, but he has to supply the ammo, I can't get it myself).

Anyway, first power station sold yesterday, a business that used to return $400M per year to the taxpayer...

And it only COST us $75M to get rid of it !!!

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/16081...-for-50m/?cs=12

Their hearty is in the right place, but they are naive in their dealings with the corrupt powers that be...sad, but I'll still be supporting them.

• 3 months later...