Practically Shooting

New IDPA rules

BarryinIN

The DRAFT of the new rule book is now posted in the IDPA website. It's not easy to find, but it's there, in the members section, under rules. I had to click on a link in the comments section by he twitter links at he bottom of the page to find it.

First big change I see: Dropped gun rule changed. Before, if you dropped a loaded gun it was an automatic DQ, but an unloaded gun was up to the Match Director or Safety Officer.

I didn't like that. If all guns are always loaded (inside front cover of the rule book) then don't have two sets of rules. That implies its OK sometimes.

Now it says any dropped gun is a DQ.

They have a "muzzle safe points" term now. Instead of a 180 degree rule (which doesn't apply well to some ranges) the staff says don't go past this point or that point as designated.

Range command change. Formerly we said "drop the hammer" as the last step when clearing the gun as a last measure to show the gun was clear.

They've adapted to those striker fired peculiarities by changing it to "Pull the trigger".

Some cover definitions clarified. A "Cover Line" is the imaginary line from the center if a threat target to the edge of cover. I suppose that clarifies the somewhat vague "If you can see it, you're exposed".

Added when an SO can warn shooter of a cover violation. Example- If they've fired a shot, it's too late and they get penalized.

I don't like this because it is too random and puts too much of the determination of whether there is a penalty on the SO. I can see some complaining here.

They eliminated the term "reload with retention" and it looks like "tactical reload" is gone. Now it's just "chamber loaded reload".

Clarified retrieving a dropped magazine with rounds in it. Now it says there will be no penalty if the mag is retrieved and stowed before last shot is fired.

Before, it was generally considered that the mag had to be stowed before firing any.

I don't care for this. I can see right now that if I drop one, I'll just go on shooting until I finish, pick up the mag, then fire a shot towards a target to cover myself.

Flashlight use clarified. Example: Light must be retained throughout the course if used at all.

I got bored here and skipped ahead to equipment.

---------------

Weight limit for all gun classes: 43 oz.

SSP class:

Term "safe action" replaced with "striker fired". This clearly puts XDs and M&Ps in SSP class.

Magazines longer than stock can be used if capacity is the same.

Cannot use a non-comp barrel in a comp cut slide (defined as a lightened slide).

No grip tang extensions.

ESP class:

Clarified that caliber conversion barrels are allowed.

Coned barrels now allowed up to 4.25" (from 4.2").

Specifically excludes non-original full length dust covers.

No thumb safer slide shields. Why this is a travesty, I don't know.

CDP class:

Did NOT add any calibers. It remains .45 ACP only. No .40, .45 GAP, or 10mm as some expected or hoped. I'm still waiting for a rational reason why the 10mm was dropped several years ago.

Again, no thumb safety slide shields.

ESR (revolver) class:

Allowing the use of: 40 in 10mm guns; 44 Spl in 44 mag; 45 Auto Rim or 45 GAP in 45 ACP; 45 ACP or 45 GAP in. 45 Colt (can you? Would you?). They say this is done in other countries where 45 ACP is prohibited.

Barrel limit of 4.2" or less.

Moon clip conversions OK.

SSR class:

Similar cartridge usage. 38 in 357, etc.

And that's as far as I've gotten.